New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schwine1

schwine1 is on a distinguished road

Time Machine (version 1.1)
Mac OS (version 10.6.5)

Although Time Machine performs automatic backups of my data, when I boot into the physical backup disk, the latest data is not on this disk itself.

Yet, I can go to any stored data point when I activate the Time Machine application and restore my main Mac OS to any earlier saved configuration.

Yes, I could boot into the physical backup hard disc, startup the Time Machine application, and then restore the backup disc to the current OS version,
but that's doing it manually.

Maybe the latest data is not supposed to on the backup disc itself automatically - just wondering. Thanks for any insight on that.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

A question and a statement.
Question - Why are you booting up into your backup drive?
Statement - Time Machine makes regular backups, say every hour, so any data that you enter or amend between backups won't be backed up until the next backup. Were you expecting it to instantly backup every change?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
schwine1

Question - Why are you booting up into your backup drive?
Just testing it out. If my main hard drive became inoperable,
I would be accessing my backup drive.

Were you expecting it to instantly backup every change?
No. It's just that when I booted into the backup drive, I noticed
that the backup drive or hard disc itself did not have any current
data on it at all. The backup drive itself has the exact same data
on it as when I started using Time Machine six months ago.

It's up to the user to "manually" update the backup hard disc itself
via Time Machine backups if the main hard drive were to become inoperable
(as opposed to Time Machine updating the backup hard disc itself automatically).
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Time Machine was not designed to be used that way, the TM disk needs to be accessed thru the TM application for best results.
If you want a bootable backup disk, use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Have a look at this sticky .....
Backups, Backups, Backups.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd like to know a lot more information about how the op is booting into a backup since Time Machine is not a bootable backup and that is the only backup that's been mentioned.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schwine1

Re: Time Machine was not designed to be used that way...

Thanks McBie, that's all I needed to know. I'm new to using TM and I just needed a clarification on it's limitations and/or correct usage.

I'll also review your sticky. Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Games in Srilanka | logging in and out of terminal application »