New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Opening excel document problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xtrician

Xtrician is on a distinguished road

I have excel document and when opening it in my mac is show me open read-only, why? What can i do to continue work on it in mac.
It will taking me a lot of time to make a new document and rewrite that document with all commands and my calculating.

P.S: Why in every post i need to write confirmation code?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Maybe the person who created the Excel sheet assigned a password to it, to prevent changes.
What app. are you using on the Mac to open the Excel sheet.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Xtrician

Xtrician is on a distinguished road

No password.
I'm using Microsoft Excel 2011 for Mac.
Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Can you post a screen shot of the error message ?
Also check the file attributes of the Excel sheet .... it may be set to read only on the file system.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrician View Post
I have excel document and when opening it in my mac is show me open read-only, why? What can i do to continue work on it in mac.

Highlight the document in a Finder Window. File > Get Info (or Command-I)
Click the padlock at the bottom, supply your password.
Click the Permissions arrow to expose the settings
Change it to read and write for your user name
Lock it back up

post? confirmation code?
Since I'm not confident in your use of the terminology, I can't decipher that one. Can you explain it further?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
post? confirmation code?
Since I'm not confident in your use of the terminology, I can't decipher that one. Can you explain it further?
I think the OP is referring to the captcha confirmation that is required for first-timers. It stops asking you after a while. Just keep posting and it'll go away eventually.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
sinktip

sinktip is on a distinguished road

I am running Office 2011 for Mac and can not open .xls or .xlsx files that are located on my HD.
I checked file permissions and all were fine.
I recently bought a Mac to replace my problematic 2 year old PC laptop.
I transferred some important work files from the PC via flash drive.
The exact same files open fine on the mac directly from the flash drive and all other files (such as .doc and .pdf) in the same directory open fine.
When I save them to any directory on the HD, they won't open at all.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Can you save it to your HD using a different name?
QUOTE Thanks
sinktip

Tried that and saved in a different directory as well.
Still struggling...
Grant
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Check the permissions. Right click the file that you copied to your HD > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions. Make sure your user has read permissions (if you just want to view it) or read & write (if you want to be able to view it and make changes).

Do you get any sort of error message?

EDIT: Just see now that you've checked the permissions. What are they set as?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
sinktip

They are set as read and write.
The two things I find odd are:
1) the files read/write fine from the flash drive but not on the HD, and
2) the other files in the same directory such as .doc read and write just fine from the HD.
QUOTE Thanks
vitorneto

vitorneto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrician View Post
It will taking me a lot of time to make a new document and rewrite that document with all commands and my calculating.

Thanks!

hi there

well i have been having this issues with some of the users getting this read only problem.

So here it goes, microsoft needs to improve there coding!!

in my case and i say this it might not work for all of you, (well i hope it does) the users always were using the slash ie, myfile_from_20/09/2012.xlsx.

the solution that worked for me was to remove the slash and put a dash. now when they open it, it is no longer read only.

i really hope this helps!, its people like you and me that make the problem solving a bit easier!

So as someone once said.......

THINK DIFFERENT! AMEN
QUOTE Thanks
sinktip

My HD was named some strange thing with odd characters and for some reason this conflicted with the excel program.
I renamed my HD to Mac HDD and voila! Problem solved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2011 Update | garageband recording »