New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Word for Mac 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jam2000

jam2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011

I recently installed Office for Mac 2011 and have Word is crashing constantly. Power Point as well, just not quite as often.

In word it seems to happen the most when pasting text from other applications in.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
Gord
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Have you checked for Updates? There's been two since it's been released.

I can't say I'm having the issue.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jam2000

Yes, I have the auto update running and have installed. If others aren't having the issues, then could be my system, i guess.
QUOTE Thanks
cipher

cipher is on a distinguished road

Just as a point of reference I am having no problems with the Office 2011 package on my 2006 Mac Pro. May very well be an issue with your setup.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

@ OP. Nave you tried launching Word/Powerpoint from another user account? If it works there try dragging your word/office prefs outside of your user account somewhere and relaunch the program.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jam2000

OK, can you help me find the prefs?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ehchalus

ehchalus is on a distinguished road

Could someone tell me whether I have missed a change in the Word programme, please? Is there is a simple new set of keystrokes for typing letters that are accented with a line or tilda (~)? The old combination of keystrokes -- Ctrl+shift+tilda+letter -- no longer works.

I have taken a look at the insert Symbol method, but copying the character from the symbol browser and then inserting it is a) an inefficient use of time, and b) means that the character is not in appropriate font, or even the appropriate font size.

Thanks in advance,
Elaine
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2000 View Post
OK, can you help me find the prefs?

Thanks
I'll have to leave that to one of our other members. I haven't installed it yet. In the past I think they have been installed in a folder called Microsoft User Data.

Did the program run OK when you started it from another user account?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
SD Izzo

SD Izzo is on a distinguished road

Hi: I was wondering if anyone could help. I just installed Word 2011 for Mac on my OS-X 10.6.4. I work with rather large documents (over 1000 pages at times), and the software is working fairly well, except for one major problem. Frequently, for example when I switch from one document to another, Word begins "analyzing" my document. The message at the bottom of the document reads something like "Word is finishing analyzing your document." This process can take from several seconds to several minutes or more, and I can't do anything else in Word until it finishes. The cancel feature doesn't seem to respond.

Anyhow, if there anyway to disable this "analyzing" feature? I've looked around in the Help document but can't find anything helpful.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Izzo View Post
Hi: I was wondering if anyone could help. I just installed Word 2011 for Mac on my OS-X 10.6.4. I work with rather large documents (over 1000 pages at times), and the software is working fairly well, except for one major problem. Frequently, for example when I switch from one document to another, Word begins "analyzing" my document. The message at the bottom of the document reads something like "Word is finishing analyzing your document." This process can take from several seconds to several minutes or more, and I can't do anything else in Word until it finishes. The cancel feature doesn't seem to respond.

Anyhow, if there anyway to disable this "analyzing" feature? I've looked around in the Help document but can't find anything helpful.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.
What view are you working on in these documents? If you're using 'print' view, this is probably a factor.... try using normal or outline view - especially for very large documents (until ready to prunt etc then check with print view).

You could take a look at this document - "Bend Word to Your Will" at:-
Word:mac - Bend Word To Your Will

an old favourite of mine, not specific to Word 2011 but is fabulous for explaining what's going on with Word and how to work with it - especially styles, templates etc - and the author wrote it due to his experiences with very large documents, like yourself.

Page 146 has some info on "Normal view, why its best used when working on a long document" - you can also check out pages referring to Print and outline view. Hope it helps.

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
SD Izzo

SD Izzo is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much! I'll definitely give that a look.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes floating window | Aperture 3 price difference. »