New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

DVD Burning Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pennysworth

pennysworth is on a distinguished road

I'm a new iMac user, a convert after 30 years of PCs. In making the grand migration I've run into some adaptability issues. Aside from a lack of an up-to-date Word Perfect I cannot find a DVD converting and burning alternative to DVDFlick. I seem only to find something that will convert and something that will burn, but nothing that will do both.

Has anyone her found an app that will do both and do them as gracefully as DVDFlick? Free is good but I've been known to spend a franc or two on something worthwhile.

Thanks.

p.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Burn - Home is an option
Roxio Toast 10 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning for Mac
Xilisoft DVD Creator for Mac - Mac DVD burner to burn AVI to DVD Mac

As well as iDVD already on your Mac.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I didn't realize people still used Word Perfect?

There are a lot of great alternatives on the Mac including MS Office and iWork.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I didn't realize people still used Word Perfect?

There are a lot of great alternatives on the Mac including MS Office and iWork.
I've been using WP since it was WPjr. It's far superior to Word which I only use because my students use it.
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
From what I can see iDVD does burn but does not convert. Useless for DVDs I want to watch on my TV.

Will all three of your suggestions convert and burn?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Using Burn and Handbrake, i set up my queues and forget about them. Like having a all in one IMO

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Since not everyone here knows what DVDFlick does *exactly,* maybe you could explain more clearly what you want to accomplish?
DVDFlick converts and burns to play on my BluRay/DVD player attached to my HDTV. One step, not two.

But even with the two steps of Mac software the burns will not play.

I cannot believe no one else has had this problem on the Mac. Doesn't anyone burn disks for play over their TV? And if so, which app do you use?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Toast will convert and burn, depending on the original file format.
Can you explain exactly what you are trying to burn and what it's original format is. Thanks.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysworth View Post
I cannot believe no one else has had this problem on the Mac. Doesn't anyone burn disks for play over their TV? And if so, which app do you use?
Burning discs to watch on TV? That's like, so 2005. We all rip and stream now, welcome to the new decade.

Seriously though, I haven't burned a DVD to watch on my TV in so long it's not even funny. Everything is digital and everything gets streamed. I still watch commercially purchased DVDs from time to time, at least until I rip them and can stream them.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm not much help either. I did that whole thing of burning to disc from about '98 - '04. Like baggss, with the advent of DVI & HDMI on TVs, that whole time consuming extra step disappeared from my repertoire at least 5 yrs ago in favor of streaming.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Oh I don't do it either, but have a good memory! We need more specific info though.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysworth View Post
I've been using WP since it was WPjr. It's far superior to Word which I only use because my students use it.
Sometimes, you just need to make a change. WP isn't even made for the Mac anymore. You could run Windows on your Mac for it, but why? Frankly, you should have probably done a bit more research before you switched.

QUOTE Thanks
archos4

archos4 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Burning discs to watch on TV? That's like, so 2005. We all rip and stream now, welcome to the new decade.
Said. As I see it ffmpegx will handle most of your conversions. Then use Burn or SimplyBurns.

Alternatively, with no offence intended, buy an Apple TV and modernise.

archos is our language's variant on the greek word "apxos", meaning master.
4's the most regular, perfect number in the world-except mathematically.

tanktrouble.com > Surface > Light Peak > X-48B > Flash
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ripping from cassette tapes? | FaceBook.com Hiijacked ? »