New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Which Office type software is best for home use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi Guys,
I have only recently switched over to using a Mac and my computing needs are simple. I need to browse the web and write stuff down. That's it. Of course, there are other things that I do such as watching Youtube videos but that's classed as "FUN". I don't actually NEED to do it.
It's this "Writing stuff down" bit that is making me think. On my Windows based PC I had a genuine copy of MS Office which was massive overkill when you compare what it contained and what I actually used. So now, after reading a bit on the web, I have a few choices. I can buy another copy of MS Office for Mac. That could be a cheap, older version 'cos there is no need for me to have all the whistles and bells. I could buy iWorks with the same sort of caveat. Or I could get a free download of Open Office or Neo Office. But you know what they say. "You get what you pay for".
So for a simple programme that will let me write masses of stuff and with no need to organise Presentations or Spreadsheets, which would you guys suggest I get?
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Maybe textedit is enough?

I wouldn't buy an old version of office at the moment, it may be out of date sooner or later. My opinion is that you go for something free. Neooffice or Openoffice. They are free to use and is regularly updated.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please be sure to search first, you'll find valuable information already on the forum by using our search function:

Mac-Forums.com - Search Forums

The Community Guidelines state:

Quote:
Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.
Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
So for a simple programme that will let me write masses of stuff and with no need to organise Presentations or Spreadsheets, which would you guys suggest I get?
Try "Bean". It's a small easy to use word processor that has many features similar to iWork Pages. The nice thing about Bean is you can set it to default to save as *.DOC. (MS Office)

Bean is free.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I'm not a big office user. Use word and some spread sheets thats about it. I downloaded and am using Open Office. Have been very pleased with it. Does what I need. The learning curve was easy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know what you do or if you need an office app, or just think you do because everybody has one.

I have iWork '08 and Open Office - have kept Open Office on my Win machines for maybe 10 years?? - use Office '07 at work (all day ).

Don't believe I've actually created a document using a word processor (at home) in at least 5 years, maybe longer. l do use a spreadsheet on occasion.

Use Textedit on rare occasion. Quick notes to myself, lists, and other stuff like that, I use SideNote. Just for jotting stuff down, this has been a great app for what I need.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

I have downloaded the "Bean" software and that seems to do the trick.
The original question was what you might call Budget based. I mean, if you just have to have a certain brand of software to do a particular job then you just have to bite the bullet and buy it. However, if there are free versions around and folk have tried them and found them to be fit for purpose, all the better.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Useing Neooffice very happy.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another vote for Bean. Great stuff for free, and not overkill like an entire office suite would be.
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Wenfuli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscribe View Post
Useing Neooffice very happy.
Had my new iMac for two weeks now and downloaded and installed OpenOffice a day or two after bringing it home. But in those two weeks I have not had to use any office software and so haven't really tried it (I've been using OO for quite a while now on Windows and Linux though -- I avoid MS products as much as I can).

I used NeoOffice on my old iMac G4 and while it ran and worked fine, start up took forever. So my question is how does it work on your computer? Was the snail-like startup due to an old and slow computer, or does NeoOffice just take a long time to load?
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi,

When I first got the Macbook I loaded OpenOffice but then found NeoOffice for Mac so changed and find no difference in loading time between the two. And from what I understand others may correct me NeoOffice is not for the PC platform so this is why I went for it, I do not want to run Bootcamp or any PC orientated software on the Mac just personal preference.
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Quote:
Hi,

I do not want to run Bootcamp or any PC orientated software on the Mac just personal preference.
I would agree with you there, but I'm not sure OpenOffice should be considered PC-oriented software. It's cross-platform and runs natively on Windows, MacOS X, and Linux. If I were to go their web site and check, I'm sure I would find other platforms that it runs on. For example, since it's produced by Sun, I would think it run on Solaris too. (I know I could check this all out easily enough to be sure, but it's very late and it's time for bed.) OpenOffice is the default office software for Ubuntu Linux.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

Hi,

Yes OpenOffice is cross-platform but I do not think NeoOffice is, and that was my point. Absolutely nothing against OpenOffice in fact when I was a PC user that was the office suite I used.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The NeoOffice interface is much nicer and Mac like for OS X. Open Office Mac is amateurish in its look and feel. As a matter of fact, IMO, it's ugly. OO is much nicer in the Windows and especially Linux version.

However, if you don't need a suite of Office apps, but just a word processor, you can't go wrong with Bean. It's a real Mac application not something that was ported over - like OO.
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Quote:
Hi,

Yes OpenOffice is cross-platform but I do not think NeoOffice is, and that was my point. Absolutely nothing against OpenOffice in fact when I was a PC user that was the office suite I used.
Sorry, my mistake. Your wording made it sound like you were loading up Bootcamp to run OpenOffice, which seemed strange to me. Many apologies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« many cam stays on google chrome after being deleted | Stupid Divx »