New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

ScanSnap and/or File Name & Organization Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

switchthefield

switchthefield is on a distinguished road

Hello All:

By way of introduction, I am an attorney/solo practitioner who recently made the "switch" in a very big way ... iMac, MacAir, iPad, iPhone, with MobileMe. Once I get myself situated, I am switching my whole office.

As part of the technology upgrade, I invested in a ScanSnap S1500M, with the intent to go paperless (to the extent possible). I really like the scanner -- small, fast, effective -- but the ScanSnap Manager software leaves a lot to be desired. The scanner comes with Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 and, by default, the ScanSnap will create searchable PDFs.

But when I scan, I am forced to "prename" the document (either by date or a set name with number extension) and have the document placed in a set file location ("Scans"). I could probably live with the latter, but it is really annoying to have to go in after every scan, find it and then rename the document. At a minimum, I would like the ability to name the document BEFORE ScanSnap saves it as something else. It would be even better if I could write rules that would do the filing for me.

Best real example of what I would like to do ... Scan old paper files, have the software name the document (or at least pause so that I can name it) and then drop it into the correct folder and/or subfolder.

So here are my questions:

1. Am I simply missing something? Do I already have the capability to do this, with ScanSnap Manager or Adobe Acrobat Pro 8, and I just do not know or understand how to use my existing software?

2. Does the new Adobe Acrobat X Pro include this functionality?

3. I have read reviews of four different "file organizer" programs specifically designed for Mac -- Hazel, DevonThink, Yep, and Paperless -- and played around with DevonThink yesterday, but honestly, I am already feeling a bit overwhelmed by my "switch" and I would prefer to find a simple solution for now.

4. Is there an AppleScript that would work here?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Switch
QUOTE Thanks
switchthefield

Found a simple way to "pause" the process in order to name the file before saving ... I changed the setting on ScanSnap Manager to "set the marked test as a keyword." At least with my tests so far, the document is fully searchable by keywords in the text. I can also set and change file locations.

But I am still looking for a software/application solution to automate that process. I have roughly 100,000 documents in 5 dozen boxes, from 20 years of the practice of law. I would like a program that takes the document, creates meaningful file names (e.g., "Complaint" or "Deposition"), and then stores that document in the right spot (Client-Smith, in Matter-Jones). Maybe I am asking too much, but I thought I would ask at the outset of the process before I got halfway through and found something better,

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
switchthefield

Just trying to contribute ... in my conversation with myself

I am using Hazel with my scanner and, at least preliminarily, I LOVE this application. It lets me write rules, which take the documents that I scan and redirects them to the appropriate folder. Still playing around with it, but pretty amazing so far ... I scan a document (Snapscan), name it, and woosh ... off it goes to the correct folder. The only thing I have not been able to do yet is add keywords at the "naming" stage of the process ... At this point, if I want to add "keywords" (and that may not even be necessary with OCR recognition), I have to go back in after filing and add the words.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari HELP???!!! | Mail acting up »