New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Aperture 2 on the go?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adamtowner

adamtowner is on a distinguished road

So I'm new to Mac Forums, but im looking for some Aperture 2 advice:

I'm a photog thats always edited on the go from my 13" MacBook pro. Recently my GF surprised me with a 27" iMac for shooting all of her stuff for her online fashion company ( I know awesome right? I should buy a ring soon). Anyways, I want to edit on my iMac but still be able to edit on my MacBook Pro on the go.

I'm thinking there is some way of keeping my current projects on a portable drive? and working from that drive on my iMac and my MBP?

Anyway have any ideas?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ljbad4life

ljbad4life is on a distinguished road

well there are a couple of different ways to keep everything organized and able to use on multiple machines. My personal favorites are cloud based solutions. The least expensive option (in the short term) is mobile me, or zumodrive. Both solutions can sync your aperture library. I personally use a networked drobo box (the one of the cheapest in the long term.) it allows access from any remote spot and has as much storage as you would need, the cap is 16Tbs at this point. Pair your macbook pro with a good 3g/4g modem(i have the sprint overdrive) and you will have acces to the drobo literally everywhere.

if you don't want to deal with the cloud, a large thumbdrive will simply do the trick. But this is somewhat labor intensive because you will have to drag and drop photos manually everytime you want to sync. A way around it is to have aperture's library on the thumbdrive (as opposed to multiple photos). This was how I used to do it, but you will run into space limitations. I'm a photographer too and I know very well how quickly a photog can amass a large library that spans a couple of Tbs!

I hope I helped you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes won't install? | Problem with uTorrent »