New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

msn for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quanz

hey, I just purchased an imac g5 17" about a month ago, and its running great,
other than my fan being loud once and ahwile, and this stupid msn for mac, which loves to disconnect while I have a perfect connection.

is there a replacment for this program
preferably wihtough having to run x11
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you want a good IM client, then Adium is your best bet
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
crg23

crg23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PB G4

yup, adium all the way
QUOTE Thanks
Maccraft

Ohh thnx heaps I have been using the crappy msn and it sucks but this is Kick *** cause it is compatible with so many IM's. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
sunshine1686

sunshine1686 is on a distinguished road

On adium, is MSN messenger the same as it is on a pc? I downloaded the MSN messenger for mac and it's NOTHING like the version for a pc. Will adium make it more like the pc version?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1686
On adium, is MSN messenger the same as it is on a pc? I downloaded the MSN messenger for mac and it's NOTHING like the version for a pc. Will adium make it more like the pc version?
Nope. You aren't using a Windows PC anymore, so you aren't going to find many things that look, act, feel, work or operate like a Windows PC version.
I would suggest embracing the Mac OS whilst using it and forget about Windows while you are using Mac. Save the Windows look, feel, quirks and Windows programs for Windows. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
darcyl

Did you guys download the new version of MSN messneger they just released a few days ago?

The only thing that this MSN doesn't seem to have is Spaces support (viewing their contact card) but I'm guessing Adium doesn't have that either. I actually prefer the latest version of MSN to the MSN Messenger Live that's out on PC right now.

No clue why its disconnecting on the G5 though...is it just MSN or is it network traffic in general?

DL
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyl
Did you guys download the new version of MSN messneger they just released a few days ago?

The only thing that this MSN doesn't seem to have is Spaces support (viewing their contact card) but I'm guessing Adium doesn't have that either. I actually prefer the latest version of MSN to the MSN Messenger Live that's out on PC right now.

No clue why its disconnecting on the G5 though...is it just MSN or is it network traffic in general?

DL
I got it (the universal version) Haven't really used it much, but it's worked fine for me. Generally, MSN has always had the occassional issue of logging you out randomly. It IS microsoft after all...
Still, I've found it much more stable than some people I know with the PC version. I keep getting messages on the screen saying "so and so and logged in, so and so has logged in again, so and so has logged in again" Other times, I've heard the skin of theme for their PC MSN changes for no particular reason, and have to hunt around for a way to restore it. From screens I've seen of the PC version, it just looks so cluttered. Kind of ironic how in my experience, the mac version of microsoft software runs better than it does in windows I try not to gloat too much to my windows friends.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« msn messenger | MacOffice Entourage »