New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Apple Mail and Gmail duplication

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Popsarmchair

Popsarmchair is on a distinguished road

I use Apple Mail as my primary mail tool when in the office and Gmail when out and about. I have two email addresses; a work one which I access via Pop and a Gmail address for personal use. Both email addresses feed into Apple Mail and Gmail, so I can see everything.
My issue is that I am getting duplicate copies of my work emails appearing in Apple Mail. I know this is because I have the inbox set to receive incoming work emails directly from the Pop3 and also from Gmail. How can I stop the duplicates appearing in Apple Mail?
My constraints are:
I have tried, and hate, MobileMe (I know this would help)
I send emails only from Apple Mail, using both my work and personal email accounts
I want to continue to able to sent work emails directly from Apple Mail (I tried removing only the incoming mail server settings for the Pop3 account, so that I only got the work emails via Gmail, but it doesn't allow you to only have outgoing mail)
I don't want to only use Gmail and discard Apple Mail (I have years worth of emails and Smart mail Folders set up on Apple Mail, working just how I need it)
I couldn't see a way of disabling the forwarding of just the work emails from Gmail to Apple Mail

Sorry this is a bit convoluted, but the conditions are quite specific. I know you enjoy a challenge!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Switch to IMAP rather than POP. That way changes are reflected back up to the server and duplicates shouldn't occur

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Popsarmchair

Popsarmchair is on a distinguished road

Thanks MrPlow. Unfortunately access to my work email server only allows POP3, not IMAP (if that is what you were suggesting).
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

With the constraints you've set yourself I don't se how this can be achieved. Maybe others will.

I'd suggest switching mail clients or using gmail within Applemail exclusively as I think both solutions would work. However you've already ruled these out as options.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea.... an Applescript to remove duplicates perhaps . . . .

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
skeets

skeets is on a distinguished road

This same problem has been dogging me. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Please keep us posted.

I have one POP and one gmail IMAP account. I get duplicates of my POP address in my gmail box. Using Mail 4.5 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Going to Mountain Lion soon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need KeyNote and Numbers icons (Lion) | Mac apps »