New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I patch in Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

craigievar

craigievar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 27" 2.7Gmz Quad Core I5 with 12gig Ram

Purchased Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008 for Mac and copied the disc over to my Applications folder. Then got official patch for game BUT cannot figure out how to patch the game. Tried to drag patch to application, no go. Cannot figure out how it is done.

Am still in learning mode with Mac (been a windows man for years) so any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

What format is the patch file in? Post the full file name here and we'll figure it out.

Note: If it's a DMG, MKPG, or ZIP file type, all you really have to do is double click on it and follow directions. The patching will be done for you.
QUOTE Thanks
craigievar

craigievar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 27" 2.7Gmz Quad Core I5 with 12gig Ram

I downloaded file from Mac Updates and the file name is TW08_701_947_mac.RAR. I used Winrar (I have Parallels Desktop) to extract the file and it gave me a Folder named Contents. Opened this folder and there are 2 folders named Mac OS and Resources and 2 files named info.plist and pkg.info.
Do I copy and paste these 4 items?? There is no .exe file
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

It sounds like those folders and files are to replace the ones they represent that you already have. In other words....

The new info.plist replaces the old one. The new pkg.info replaces the old one. Do the same with the Mac OS and Resources folder.

Didn't any instructions come with the patch?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigievar View Post
I downloaded file from Mac Updates and the file name is TW08_701_947_mac.RAR. I used Winrar (I have Parallels Desktop) to extract the file and it gave me a Folder named Contents. Opened this folder and there are 2 folders named Mac OS and Resources and 2 files named info.plist and pkg.info.
Strange that they would use a non-standard format like RAR.

You can't use a Windows application (like Winrar) to uncompress Mac files. Windows can't handle Mac OS file attributes.

Download a copy of The Unarchiver to handle your file decompression needs.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

screw the unarchiver, Stuffit Expander will do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'd be cautious about that file -- could be a disguised (windows) virus or (possibly Mac) trojan.

RAR is almost never used by companies, and even if it was it's used specifically to split up large files ... so a single RAR file seems very suspicious to me.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
screw the unarchiver, Stuffit Expander will do the job.
Yeah, why use an efficient open-source utility when you can download ad-encrusted crap like StuffIt?

I remember when StuffIt and Expander were the only game in town, and even further back when they were published by a decent company (Aladdin.) Those days are long gone. Avoid StuffIt and SmithMicro like the plague.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigievar View Post
Do I copy and paste these 4 items?? There is no .exe file
Why not download it directly from the publisher's website instead of MacUpdate? I'm sure that site will have instructions on how to install the patch.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Why not download it directly from the publisher's website instead of MacUpdate? I'm sure that site will have instructions on how to install the patch.
I looked it up, and it's Electronic Arts.

EA's developers wouldn't know a Mac if Steve Jobs hit them over the head with one.

Here's the Apple page for the update. Looks like the same RAR file.
Apple - Downloads - Demos & Updates - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail activity wheel keeps spinning!!!! | mac address book malformed group »