New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari Taking Control Of Address Bar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

Hi Everyone!
Hope Your Day Is Going Well!

Here's a little situation I have with Safari (Version 4.1.2) that drives me crazy (well, a little crazy):

When I type in an address in the address bar, Safari guesses where I want to go & fills in the rest- often incorrectly. Here's an example:
If I type in "Lowes" (no quotes: Used them to stop the URL & advertisement that got inserted- Saw it when I previewed this post) to go to Lowes web site, Safari very politely fills in "Lowest Prices On Machinery Tools And Shop Supplies" along with the URL of Use-Enco.com. There is a drop down list with more to select, including 1-800-Flowers. If I'm not looking & type in "Lowes", I get sent to Enco.

Of course, I turned off everything at Preferences-Autofill. I've tried resetting Safari, individually resetting all of the stuff that's listed in Reset. Enco is not in my address book nor bookmarks.

I have not ditched the plists at Users-Library-Safari nor at Users-Library-Preferences-com.apple.Safari.plist because I'm sure to dump the wrong one & goof things up.

Do any of you know how to stop this crazy thing? (And, if it is possible, empty the drop down list.) Oddly, the drop down list doesn't keep new stuff. For example- If I go to a web site by typing in the URL, it is only on the list until I reset Safari. But, the old ones stay. (At least the Enco one stays)

This certainly isn't a life altering problem, but I'd love to make it stop!
Thanks,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Try this...
When you have Safari open, click on History in the top menu bar and at the very bottom is "Clear History". See if that doesn't stop the autofill.

EDIT: I just noticed you're using 4.1.2, so I'm not 100% sure the menus are the same but I think they are. Why not update Safari to the most recent version? 5.0.2

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

I've tried clearing History when I clear the other stuff. No luck.
As far as I cal tell, 5.0.2 is for Leopard. (I use 10.4.11 still)
Thanks,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Excel Problem | Minilyrics option? »