Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outlook 2011 too slow..going back to Mail/iCal
    Ok, I sipped the M$ Kool-Aid because all I've wanted is Outlook. I love the all-in-one interface of Mail/Calendar/Tasks/Contacts, etc.

However....

Outlook is TOO SLOW. Downloading new mail...SLOW. Downloading mail from my GMail initially....SLOW(Took all night to download 6,000 emails. Send/Receive mail...SLOW. Downloading email with attachments...SLOWER. Clicking from one mail account to another...SLOW.

Sure, maybe an update will correct this....I hope. But the speed and response of things within Outlook are too slow to make it a usable app.

I'm running OS X 10.6.4 on a Duo Core 2 MacBook Pro. Nothing else app-wise runs this slow. I reinstalled Safari, I even re-formatted and reinstalled OX X 10.6.4 in a non-Time MAchine restore in hopes that something was slowing it down. Nope. What a waste of time.

Oh well, back to Mail/iCal.

Your experiences?

Curious.... i'm currently using Outlook '11, and downloading messages doesn't take too long (a few seconds). The program does start up slow when I use it for the first time (i'm also using spamsieve), but after that nothing bad happens, and i'm using the same macbook pro as you. Are you using a genuine office '11 ?

Specs:
    iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
    Mine's okay operationally too, handling lots of hosted email and gmail. Just wish MS would have finished the niceties like auto archiving etc..
    Les Armitage
    People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com

Specs:
    iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
    I plan to migrate my mail, iCal and Address book data to Outlook 2011 very soon. Outlook was something which I was happy with in those Windows days. Questions:

is it going to be an easy migration
    and satisfactory, performance-wise?

Yes, my install is genuine.

The mail I'm using is Exchange 2007(work) and two Gmail accounts (IMAP) and a U-Verse account(POP).

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Just remember Outlook 2011 is a brand new app, created from the ground up so it's going to have bugs and issues. It's going to be interesting to see how quickly MS addresses them however.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Outlook
    Hi All,

New here. I am considering switching from PC to a Mac Air. I rely heavily on MS office Pro in PC right now. My clients are all PC users. Outlook has my entire professional life in it, especially. FutureShop says I should give it up and use ICal and the office suite that they can sell me for $99. Since I use MS Office to it's fullest, should I do this? I would appreciate advice.

You can reply directly to me at jalatour at telus dot net. Or you can reply here.

Thanks

James

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    No. If Office is that important, get MS Office 2011, it is much better than iWork for most things.

As for email/calendar, it just depends. Outlook 2011 is a new Mac app and is fairly buggy. I actually prefer Mail and iCal for my IMAP and Exchange accounts, but you can easily see which you prefer.

Is your email/calendar via Exchange right now?
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

I agree
    I am going to agree with PKGuy323 on this one. I am having the same issue and I to did a fresh install of the OS and Office because it was slow.

MacBook Pro
    2.66 Core2 Duo
    8 GB Ram

I am sure it is not because of lack of power. I understand that they rebuilt Outlook from the ground up, but I would like for once if Microsoft would actually release a product that does not have so many issues. Some are fine, that is normal, but it seems like every time that release something there are more bugs or bugs that cause dumb stuff like this then there are working things.

Just my 2cents.

//j

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ylshin View Post
    I plan to migrate my mail, iCal and Address book data to Outlook 2011 very soon. Outlook was something which I was happy with in those Windows days. Questions:

is it going to be an easy migration
    and satisfactory, performance-wise?
    easy peasy
    Les Armitage
    People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com

Outlook slow to use when first opened
    I too am using Outlook 2011 on both a MacBook Pro and iMac and on both, when I first open the program each day, I have to wait about 3-4 minutes before I can do anything at all--open a message, send a message, delete junk mail. I thought I had inadvertently set something wrong in my Preferences but apparently not. It is very frustrating to have to to wait so long before you can do anything at all. Once it starts responding, then all is fine. I don't have any problems sending mail, even large files. That seems pretty fast as does downloading. It's just starting to use the program each and every day!

Specs:
    Why re-start every day?
    Les Armitage

Quote Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
    Why re-start every day?
    I'm retired but do have an office. My schedule is very flexible. I don't see any need to leave my computer running when I don't access it from home.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by rterry View Post
    I too am using Outlook 2011 on both a MacBook Pro and iMac and on both, when I first open the program each day, I have to wait about 3-4 minutes before I can do anything at all--open a message, send a message, delete junk mail. I thought I had inadvertently set something wrong in my Preferences but apparently not. It is very frustrating to have to to wait so long before you can do anything at all. Once it starts responding, then all is fine. I don't have any problems sending mail, even large files. That seems pretty fast as does downloading. It's just starting to use the program each and every day!
    Rebuild the Office database
    Rebuild the Office database

And yeah...don't quit the program at the end of the day!

Specs:
    iMac 21.5 4GB 1TB Mem.
    I just installed '11 on my iMac and I've already had to add a new identity. The good thing, I had an update to install this morning. I'm happy with it and do expect bugs. Have to realize we are running Microsoft on a Mac. The need time.

Thread Information