New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Outlook 2011 too slow..going back to Mail/iCal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PKGuy323

PKGuy323 will become famous soon enough

Ok, I sipped the M$ Kool-Aid because all I've wanted is Outlook. I love the all-in-one interface of Mail/Calendar/Tasks/Contacts, etc.

However....

Outlook is TOO SLOW. Downloading new mail...SLOW. Downloading mail from my GMail initially....SLOW(Took all night to download 6,000 emails. Send/Receive mail...SLOW. Downloading email with attachments...SLOWER. Clicking from one mail account to another...SLOW.

Sure, maybe an update will correct this....I hope. But the speed and response of things within Outlook are too slow to make it a usable app.

I'm running OS X 10.6.4 on a Duo Core 2 MacBook Pro. Nothing else app-wise runs this slow. I reinstalled Safari, I even re-formatted and reinstalled OX X 10.6.4 in a non-Time MAchine restore in hopes that something was slowing it down. Nope. What a waste of time.

Oh well, back to Mail/iCal.

Your experiences?
QUOTE Thanks
ioaus09

ioaus09 is an unknown at this point

Curious.... i'm currently using Outlook '11, and downloading messages doesn't take too long (a few seconds). The program does start up slow when I use it for the first time (i'm also using spamsieve), but after that nothing bad happens, and i'm using the same macbook pro as you. Are you using a genuine office '11 ?
QUOTE Thanks
lesarmitage

lesarmitage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone

Mine's okay operationally too, handling lots of hosted email and gmail. Just wish MS would have finished the niceties like auto archiving etc..

Les Armitage
People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com
QUOTE Thanks
ylshin

ylshin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3

I plan to migrate my mail, iCal and Address book data to Outlook 2011 very soon. Outlook was something which I was happy with in those Windows days. Questions:

is it going to be an easy migration
and satisfactory, performance-wise?
QUOTE Thanks
PKGuy323

PKGuy323 will become famous soon enough

Yes, my install is genuine.

The mail I'm using is Exchange 2007(work) and two Gmail accounts (IMAP) and a U-Verse account(POP).

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Just remember Outlook 2011 is a brand new app, created from the ground up so it's going to have bugs and issues. It's going to be interesting to see how quickly MS addresses them however.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
nanaimoboi2011

nanaimoboi2011 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

New here. I am considering switching from PC to a Mac Air. I rely heavily on MS office Pro in PC right now. My clients are all PC users. Outlook has my entire professional life in it, especially. FutureShop says I should give it up and use ICal and the office suite that they can sell me for $99. Since I use MS Office to it's fullest, should I do this? I would appreciate advice.

You can reply directly to me at jalatour at telus dot net. Or you can reply here.

Thanks

James
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No. If Office is that important, get MS Office 2011, it is much better than iWork for most things.

As for email/calendar, it just depends. Outlook 2011 is a new Mac app and is fairly buggy. I actually prefer Mail and iCal for my IMAP and Exchange accounts, but you can easily see which you prefer.

Is your email/calendar via Exchange right now?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jbeitler

jbeitler is on a distinguished road

I am going to agree with PKGuy323 on this one. I am having the same issue and I to did a fresh install of the OS and Office because it was slow.

MacBook Pro
2.66 Core2 Duo
8 GB Ram

I am sure it is not because of lack of power. I understand that they rebuilt Outlook from the ground up, but I would like for once if Microsoft would actually release a product that does not have so many issues. Some are fine, that is normal, but it seems like every time that release something there are more bugs or bugs that cause dumb stuff like this then there are working things.

Just my 2cents.

//j
QUOTE Thanks
lesarmitage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylshin View Post
I plan to migrate my mail, iCal and Address book data to Outlook 2011 very soon. Outlook was something which I was happy with in those Windows days. Questions:

is it going to be an easy migration
and satisfactory, performance-wise?
easy peasy

Les Armitage
People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com
QUOTE Thanks
rterry

rterry is on a distinguished road

I too am using Outlook 2011 on both a MacBook Pro and iMac and on both, when I first open the program each day, I have to wait about 3-4 minutes before I can do anything at all--open a message, send a message, delete junk mail. I thought I had inadvertently set something wrong in my Preferences but apparently not. It is very frustrating to have to to wait so long before you can do anything at all. Once it starts responding, then all is fine. I don't have any problems sending mail, even large files. That seems pretty fast as does downloading. It's just starting to use the program each and every day!
QUOTE Thanks
lesarmitage

Why re-start every day?

Les Armitage
QUOTE Thanks
rterry

rterry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
Why re-start every day?
I'm retired but do have an office. My schedule is very flexible. I don't see any need to leave my computer running when I don't access it from home.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rterry View Post
I too am using Outlook 2011 on both a MacBook Pro and iMac and on both, when I first open the program each day, I have to wait about 3-4 minutes before I can do anything at all--open a message, send a message, delete junk mail. I thought I had inadvertently set something wrong in my Preferences but apparently not. It is very frustrating to have to to wait so long before you can do anything at all. Once it starts responding, then all is fine. I don't have any problems sending mail, even large files. That seems pretty fast as does downloading. It's just starting to use the program each and every day!
Rebuild the Office database
Rebuild the Office database

And yeah...don't quit the program at the end of the day!
QUOTE Thanks
Harleygold

Harleygold is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 4GB 1TB Mem.

I just installed '11 on my iMac and I've already had to add a new identity. The good thing, I had an update to install this morning. I'm happy with it and do expect bugs. Have to realize we are running Microsoft on a Mac. The need time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud | 2 Quibbles with Safari »