New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word 2011 Forms Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Looking for some help from a Word 2011 guru...

I have a .doc that uses text box forms. The document is locked (for convenience, not security) so that only the text fields can be edited and you can tab through them using Tab and Shift-Tab. Word 2008 had a Forms toolbar that you could bring up at View > Toolbars > Forms. Where is the equivalent hidden in Word 2011? I can't find a Forms toolbar anywhere in the menus or in the Ribbon. I've Googled extensively, but to no avail.

I'll be happy to email a copy of the .doc to anyone who wants to give it a look...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's "hidden" so to speak. Enable the Developer tab in the ribbon (click the gear in the ribbon > Ribbon Preferences... > in Tab or Group Title, check Developer). Once enabled, you should see some form controls. Is that what you're looking for?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@Van

Were you able to install Office 2011 over Office 2008 or did you have to remove Office 2008 first? In Windows, Office 2010 just installed itself over the previous version - Office 2007 - leaving all documents and custom templates intact along with the user dictionary.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I was actually expecting Office 2011 to upgrade my 2008 install but it installed itself alongside 2008 which was nice in case I had some major issues with 2011. I ended up removing 2008 after a few days after I found that 2011 proved to work well for me.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

That was the trick! Thanks Van!

And yes, you can install 2011 without it overwriting 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
TammySue

TammySue is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's "hidden" so to speak. Enable the Developer tab in the ribbon (click the gear in the ribbon > Ribbon Preferences... > in Tab or Group Title, check Developer). Once enabled, you should see some form controls. Is that what you're looking for?
Thank you! Just the information I was looking for! I have switched from Office 2003 on a PC to a Mac with Office 2011. No reqrets....just have to hit this forum now and then when I get "stuck."

mac newbie
QUOTE Thanks
djngl1

djngl1 is on a distinguished road

Ok, after looking all over the internet for an answer I thought I had found it here. The person below asked nearly the same question I needed to ask. The problem I am having is after using the solution that was given to him, I still do not see how to pull up the form formatting pallette like in Word for Mac 2008. Can anyone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
Looking for some help from a Word 2011 guru...

I have a .doc that uses text box forms. The document is locked (for convenience, not security) so that only the text fields can be edited and you can tab through them using Tab and Shift-Tab. Word 2008 had a Forms toolbar that you could bring up at View > Toolbars > Forms. Where is the equivalent hidden in Word 2011? I can't find a Forms toolbar anywhere in the menus or in the Ribbon. I've Googled extensively, but to no avail.

I'll be happy to email a copy of the .doc to anyone who wants to give it a look...
QUOTE Thanks
Mark_t

Mark_t is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac (10.6), Powerbook (10.4)

Sorry, I can't help but I have the same problem - even after ticking the 'Developer' box as discussed.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Quote:
Originally Posted by djngl1 View Post
Ok, after looking all over the internet for an answer I thought I had found it here. The person below asked nearly the same question I needed to ask. The problem I am having is after using the solution that was given to him, I still do not see how to pull up the form formatting pallette like in Word for Mac 2008. Can anyone help?
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but in 2008, you could create tables and then insert boxes/fields all from the Forms toolbar. In 2011, it appears that you create a table from the Table tab and then click over to the Developer tab to add the boxes/fields.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for...
QUOTE Thanks
zoonose

zoonose is on a distinguished road

Hi, Anyone on this thread know how to add rich text fields to forms in word 2011?

& can anyone lead me to a way to dynamically add fields, i.e. if the user wants to input more/additional details?
QUOTE Thanks
ShortFuze

ShortFuze is on a distinguished road

Hello! Any advice for learning resources regarding building of Userforms and/or inserting and using Controls?
I do know how to find them in the Developer tab, just not sure how to use them.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try this web page. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
ALouw

ALouw is on a distinguished road

Hi I have followed the advice and found the developer tab but no form tools show anywhere. What do I do now?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
SereneVannoy

SereneVannoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I know you answered this years ago, but it really saved me time today; thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2011 licence name | Marine Aquarum for ML »