New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2011 for Mac? Anyone using it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerdog

jerdog is on a distinguished road

is anyone using the Office 2011 for Mac? if so, how do you like it? is the email "push" better than the previous Entourage? Looking to get away from having Parallels installed for using Outlook! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The Home and Business version of Office 2011 has Outlook included. The Home and Student version does not. Just thought I'd mention that fact since the Home and Business version is more expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The academic version has Outlook as well if you qualify.

I would comment on Outlook but I use Mail and honestly, Mail works so there is little reason to move over to Outlook.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And I won't look at Office 2011 until an uninstaller is included in the package!
QUOTE Thanks
lesarmitage

lesarmitage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
is anyone using the Office 2011 for Mac? if so, how do you like it? is the email "push" better than the previous Entourage? Looking to get away from having Parallels installed for using Outlook! Thanks!
Yes i'm using it on my MacBook. Have 3 accounts setup - hosted exchange; gmail and hotmail. Seems seamless in setup and smooth in operation.

Just posted of the MS tech forums a query I have in that I cannot find 'mail box cleanup' similar to the PC version and Auto Archive. Appart from that - very superion to Entourage and better then Mac Mail (for business uses - personal use mac mail is sufficient)

Hope that helps

Les Armitage
People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm using Office 2011 and I love it. Much better than 2008 and much more flexible and powerful than iWorks (outside of maybe Keynote).

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DancesWithWeezi

DancesWithWeezi is on a distinguished road

Outlook is anyway, it's a major step back from Entourage and uglier as well. Lot's missing and the HTML email signature issue still hasn't been resolved.

Where's Resend?
Why can't I put an Inbox button on the toolbar???
Why can't I browse folders to move an email??
Why can't I archive off specific emails/folders??
Why does search not look in the body of the email as well?

Needs a lot of work... very, very disappointed.

Word, Exel, PowerPoint etc are all fine but Outlook is sh1te.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I am extremely disappointed that Outlook 2011 does not provide an option to sync with iCal, and by extension, an iPhone. Entourage 2008 did. So I'm stuck with Office 2011 on my MBP and still using Entourage 2008 until MS gets their act together. How they could release a version of Office for Mac that won't fully sync with the typical users iPhone is beyond me.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I am extremely disappointed that Outlook 2011 does not provide an option to sync with iCal, and by extension, an iPhone. Entourage 2008 did. So I'm stuck with Office 2011 on my MBP and still using Entourage 2008 until MS gets their act together. How they could release a version of Office for Mac that won't fully sync with the typical users iPhone is beyond me.
But there is! Simply purchase a Dell PowerEdge™ with Microsoft Windows Server 2008, and then install Microsoft Exchange™ 2010 on it. Then you'll be able to sync everything just fine!
QUOTE Thanks
jerdog

jerdog is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your insight! I ended up purchasing Office 2011:Mac, installed it and found out that it is not compatible with Exchange 2003. Time to upgrade that too...in due time. i just removed the Office 2011 from the machine and am still using Parallels to have Outlook installed (tried Entourage and didn't care for it).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office Mac 2011 | Text Clipping issues in MS Word »