New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Will installing iLife '11 overwrite my exciting iMovie HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UKingdom

UKingdom is on a distinguished road

I meant "existing" not "exciting," lol (although iMovie HD is exciting)

I have one of the first gen iMacs that have the Intel processor and while I have upgraded to Snow Leapord I haven't made the upgrades to the iLife suite simply because the newer "user friendly" versions didn't have the cool timeline feature and templates of the earlier iMovie HD (iMovie 6).

From my understanding, some of the previous versions of iLife and its included iMovie update did NOT overwrite iMovie HD but I'm not sure if this is the case for iMovie 11. The reason why I don't want the older one deleted is because there are some cool templates that they didn't carry over to the newer version and also the timeline feature for more advanced users is not the same.

Anyone who has actually upgraded their iLife suite can confirm that iMovie HD isn't affected? The idea is to have BOTH iMovie HD and iMovie 11. I realize there may be some projects I make in HD that won't open in 11 but that's ok with me. I just want to have the option.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I'm 99.99% sure that it won't overwrite iMovie HD but better google it to find out more to be that extra 00.01% sure.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I don't have iLife 11 but inasmuch as Apple appears to have forgotten that iMovie HD ever existed, and moved it to its own folder, I'm going to say "no."

But of course you have backups, so who cares if you're wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
UKingdom

UKingdom is on a distinguished road

Well since iMovie HD came preloaded onto my mac I'm not sure how to back it up. Anyone else who has installed who can confirm?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Riqiv

Riqiv is on a distinguished road

I just downloaded iMovie 11 from the App Store. It has replaced the precious "Time Line" that was dropped in the '08 version and requires no rendering time

What I've done is put "iMovie HD" ('06) in its own folder called "iMovie 6" in the Applications Folder and renamed "iMovie" (the '09 version) "iMovie 09".

That way I've kept all three versions.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I can affirm the above post, my dad does this because he can't get his head wrapped around iMovie 11.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
I can affirm the above post, my dad does this because he can't get his head wrapped around iMovie 11.
Gotta concur with your dad there. Never did wrap my brain around iMovie 09. I have the current version but have only used it a little bit thus far.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Riqiv

Riqiv is on a distinguished road

As intuitive as Apple products are, iMovie 11 requires Pogue and Aaron Miller's "iMovie 11 and DVD" book that was essential for me to learn enuff to finish a project. iMovie 11 is a completely different animal from '06 but I needed the Pogue book for that too :-)

'09 and '11 restored many things from '06 version and has image stabilization, color-correction and frame-cropping tools. It took me about the same amount of time to learn as iMovie HD and is worth it.

I would wait for the paperback to come out April (which I've back-ordered) but I'm using the Kindle edition for now. It allows quick searching and book-marking but I like to have the paper copy also.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FileZilla Password Recovery. | View CHM files and convert them to PDF »