New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

.Mac - Word processing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

catchawave

I'm looking for a very simple word processing program. I have always used appleworks - since it came with my eMac. I now also have a Lombard laptop which didn't come with any WP.
Problem is... I can't go with anything like openoffice because of the specs. Lombard doesn't have much HD space.
All I need it for is for simple documents and a spreadsheet. I never use the painting or most of the templates that are on appleworks. I haven't even checked if Appleworks 6 will even work on the Lombard.
Can anyone suggest some WP software that might work?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

NeoOffice J

http://www.neooffice.org/

QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

I've looked at neooffice but I don't think I have that much free disk space. They say 400MB free disk space.
Where would I go to find what I have?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Select your harddrive on the desktop and hit Apple+i to see the space remaining on your drive (this is using OS X ).

You could also check out Ragtime Solo:
http://www.ragtime-online.com/
The system requirements are fairly low:
Quote:
Mac OS X:
Power Macintosh with Mac OS X version 10.2. Version 10.2.3 or later recommended. 120 MB free hard disk space for one language, about 55 MB for any additional language.
Note: RagTime runs under Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

hmmm... I'm not on my laptop right now but it's something like 4.3 GB -- couldn't find anything that had MB. So, they are saying 400 MB free disk space. So, I'm confused, are they talking about free disk space of memory or HD space?
I'll check out ragtime solo too.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

They are talking about the harddrive.

The 'disk' specified is the harddisk/harddrive, i.e. the one with 4GB of memory left.
If they said "128MB RAM" required, they would be talking about the memory.

So you can use any package really, but on the lombard I'd steer clear on NeoOffice/J as it is Java based and a bit more processor dependent than the others.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchawave
...So, they are saying 400 MB free disk space. So, I'm confused, are they talking about free disk space of memory or HD space?...
Hmm...it clearly states "400MB of DISK space...what's so confusing about that?!
HD is short for HardDisk, and as the name says, it contains at least one disk, which is hard, as opposed to a floppy disk which is, well, floppy (i.e. flexible).

So disk space and HD space are exactly the same thing. As your Lombard has 4.3GB free, you shouldn't have any problems, 400MB is approx. 0.4GB
QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Hmm...it clearly states "400MB of DISK space...what's so confusing about that?!
HD is short for HardDisk, and as the name says, it contains at least one disk, which is hard, as opposed to a floppy disk which is, well, floppy (i.e. flexible).

So disk space and HD space are exactly the same thing. As your Lombard has 4.3GB free, you shouldn't have any problems, 400MB is approx. 0.4GB
What's with the attitude? You don't have to comment on my post if you're going to be condescending about it.
Good for you that you know about the workings and wordings on computers. I do not.
I had no idea that 400MB is approx. 0.4GB.
Sorry - but what an ***!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
What's with the attitude? You don't have to comment on my post if you're going to be condescending about it.
Good for you that you know about the workings and wordings on computers. I do not.
Good for you Catchawave. I was thinking the exact same about his attitude in his post. It is easy for us who "know" abt. this stuff to forget that others don't, but attitude shouldn't show up on these forums.

Did you get a chance to try installing any of the software that was suggested? How's it working for you?

btw, OS X will tell you if you don't have enough HD space when you go to install.
QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
Good for you Catchawave. I was thinking the exact same about his attitude in his post. It is easy for us who "know" abt. this stuff to forget that others don't, but attitude shouldn't show up on these forums.

Did you get a chance to try installing any of the software that was suggested? How's it working for you?

btw, OS X will tell you if you don't have enough HD space when you go to install.
Yeah, these boards are supposed to be here to help people - even those of us who are not "with it" in the computer world. People shouldn't insult or belittle others - I guess some can't play nice with others....

Anyway, I haven't had a chance yet. It's just so sloooow right now. I might wait til the extra ram shows up. I was hoping it would have been in my mailbox when I got home today - maybe tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Sorry if you took it that way, but that wasn't what my post was meant for...
Actually I wanted to explain the difference, as you (and surely others as well) didn't seem to know it.
I consider getting a detailed explanation as help...not as an insult.

If you took it that way, well, that's your problem, not mine...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No ringing endorsement for iTunes phone | Anyone using Freefall to track Shuttle? »