Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    On PC I used Avira free-av (amazing btw), MBAM, and Comodo Firewall (yea, I downloaded a lot of stuff). I never got a virus tho, and now I don't need to worry about anything on my Mac.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    What I've found with Norton Internet Security and the PCs I've had to repair for my customers (and yes, the latest versions) is that more often than not, it's ineffective. The machine gets infected with some kind of malware and the first thing it does is partially disable Norton. Then, you've got a real problem, because now Norton has co-opted the TCP/IP stack with its craptastic firewall. So, you can't pull down any tools over the network, and you're stuck with using a USB key.

What's worse is that more often than not, you can't uninstall it because the installer isn't smart enough to "heal" itself if conditions aren't EXACTLY what it's expecting. So, now you've got to download a special uninstaller from Symantec and hope and pray that it will actually rid the machine of Norton - and that's before you can even start nuking the bug that started the whole mess.

I'm sorry, I've spent more time fighting Symantec products (including their Enterprise, non-AV products) than I have using them, and avoid them like the plague they are on my personal machines.

On Windows, I use MSE and have not had a single malady on any of my boxes or VMs. On my Mac, I don't use an AV product (which by the way, will not protect you from yourself - you still need to practice safe surfing).
    I'm sorry, but this is total BS. Try it for yourself folks.

Specs:
    27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    On PC I used Avira free-av (amazing btw), MBAM, and Comodo Firewall (yea, I downloaded a lot of stuff). I never got a virus tho, and now I don't need to worry about anything on my Mac.
    similar to what I used to use:

Avast! (free)
    MBAM

Specs:
    27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    lol!!! - do you work for Norton or something?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I'm giving an objective overview of my experience with Symantec products. This comes from someone with decades of professional IT experience using these products and also from my PC repair business. If you're going to characterize that opinion as "total BS", at least substantiate it in some way.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbchs65 View Post
    What is the present thinking on whether Mac's really need security software like Norton, McAfee, etc. One of my local Apple Store representative said that he did not use any commercial software but ran ClamX occasionally. I did that until I upgraded to Snow Leopard. ClamX doesn't work on Snow Leopard. Any thoughts?
    I am using Clam X on SL and its working absolutely fine for me.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    No, I don't work for Symantec. I'm just tired of people berating and excellent product. I've used it for over 20 years and it protected me fine during this time. Yes, for a while it had a heavy footprint. But this is not longer the case. It's very light and provides great protection and uninstalls in a snap if you need to uninstall it. I really don't care who uses it but these constant rants about how awful Norton is BS!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    No, I don't work for Symantec. I'm just tired of people berating and excellent product. I've used it for over 20 years and it protected me fine during this time. Yes, for a while it had a heavy footprint. But this is not longer the case. It's very light and provides great protection and uninstalls in a snap if you need to uninstall it. I really don't care who uses it but these constant rants about how awful Norton is BS!
    I'm glad that you have not personally had any issues with Symantec, but that doesn't invalidate the experience of others, and I'd appreciate if you stopped belittling others' concerns and simply state your case.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    they're really not.. and you can't really fight a crusade against people.. people are allowed to use whatever they want.. there is also no tangible proof that it does anything on the Mac - or that it's even needed in the first place!

The first thing I done when I get my Windows 7 netbook was uninstall the free version of Norton they gave me - in my opinion (and user experience) it's ****! - I replaced it with Avast! and MBAM.. much, much better - the same lightweight combination configuration I've ran on windows machines without drama for years..

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    We have a FAQ on this already which is the main point of this thread:

Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Seeing that it's simply devolved into a fight over people who like certain software and those that don't, we'll go ahead and close this since it's not germain to the main question.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Thread Information