Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16

    Lord Alveric's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, Canada
    Posts
    60
    Ya, Defender is aimed at malware, it's the competition of MBAM.

    MSE is what I've been using lately (switched my PCs to it from AVG and Avast). M$ really surprised and impressed me with it. I've been putting it on some of the machines that come to the shop for repairs and have been pleased -and I suspect the customers too, since no one has complained yet. Point in fact, Touch, the company whose systems we sell, have started loading it by default on each of their brand new PCs.
    Wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual.

  2. #17

    JBob2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Thanks for the laugh! Anyone who installs Norton anything for any reason just wants an unnecessarily slow, bloated computer. Same goes for Macafee.

    What other "things" can attack your Mac? Only Trojans that work on a Mac come from downloading illegal software or installing video codecs on porn sites. If you get one of those Trojans, no one here will feel sorry for you. Dig in the trash and expect to find garbage.
    You couldn't possibly have tried the latest version of Norton. At least for me, it hasn't slowed my computer one bit. It is efficient and transparent.

    As far as other "things", I don't really know. But malware writers are constantly working on new "things" and I like level of comfort provided by a security app.

  3. #18


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I'll take your word for it on the latest Norton, but their reputation has been going downhill since Symantec bought it years ago so it would really have to be pretty impressive to convince most Mac users it's not stealing resources.

    As for "new things": if you understood UNIX and Mac OS X a bit better, you'd understand why there is virtually no chance of there ever being a virus for the Mac.

  4. #19

    Printerman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    422
    Specs:
    Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    You couldn't possibly have tried the latest version of Norton. At least for me, it hasn't slowed my computer one bit. It is efficient and transparent.

    As far as other "things", I don't really know. But malware writers are constantly working on new "things" and I like level of comfort provided by a security app.
    I give 3 more weeks until it takes over your computer.
    -Dylan

  5. #20

    Lord Alveric's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, Canada
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    You couldn't possibly have tried the latest version of Norton. At least for me, it hasn't slowed my computer one bit. It is efficient and transparent.
    Maybe you're using the corporate version? Symantec corporate is decent and NAV Corporate runs fast, doesn't take over the machine and stays out of your way. Not so with the mainstream version.

    And no, I haven't tried it myself (Heaven forbid!) but my input doesn't come from reviews or hearsay: I have seen NAV's effects on systems and have spent time removing that garbage antivirus from them, which isn't always easy (when Symantec itself provides a "Norton Removal Tool" to get rid of it, you can have an idea of how bad they know their own product is).
    Wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual.

  6. #21

    Sawday's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 19, 2006
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    1,268
    Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    You couldn't possibly have tried the latest version of Norton. At least for me, it hasn't slowed my computer one bit. It is efficient and transparent.
    Probably because it's not actually doing anything! As virus only attact Windows PCs why are you checking your mac for them?
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

  7. #22

    JBob2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I'll take your word for it on the latest Norton, but their reputation has been going downhill since Symantec bought it years ago so it would really have to be pretty impressive to convince most Mac users it's not stealing resources.

    As for "new things": if you understood UNIX and Mac OS X a bit better, you'd understand why there is virtually no chance of there ever being a virus for the Mac.
    It is pretty impressive. It was on my PC and also seems to be on my mac. I don't care whether anyone else here uses it or not, but to constantly berate it when people obviously haven't tried the latest version, is ridiculous. I admit it, a few years ago it was a resource hog, but no more. It's fast and non-intrusive. People constantly chiming in "OOOh, Symantec is awful!", is just indicating how uninformed they are. (Sort of like Obama supporters.)

    It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware however, is that the majority of it is not viruses but other methods of attack, and I don't pretend to know what those methods are. I guess my point is that Norton Internet Security for Mac has no negative effect on the performance of my MBP so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.

  8. #23

    JBob2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    Probably because it's not actually doing anything! As virus only attact Windows PCs why are you checking your mac for them?
    It may seem like it's not doing anything, but that just demonstrates that it is not affecting the performance of the mac and is relatively transparent.

    I much higher percentage of my acquaintances use Windows rather than Mac. If I get some kind of malware from them, say in an email, I consider it my responsibility to not pass it on to someone else using Windows.

  9. #24

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware however, is that the majority of it is not viruses but other methods of attack, and I don't pretend to know what those methods are. I guess my point is that Norton Internet Security for Mac has no negative effect on the performance of my MBP so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.
    This should help you understand better...
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...ewall-faq.html

    I don't care how light and unobtrusive the newest parachute on the market is. It's still useless and more weight to carry around than necessary to those of us who don't skydive.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  10. #25

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    Have you even tried the current Norton Internet Security on the PC or Mac? It works great on both. Do a little research before making ridiculous comments. It doesn't help anyone.

    As far as security software for Mac, I am new to the Mac and there are other things besides viruses that can attack your computer. Don't fall into the trap of "Gee, I have a Mac. Nothing can happen to me or my computer."
    So please, tell us all of the nasty things that can happen to a Mac that we have to be wary of. I've been using Macs for 15+ years, have never ran an AV app actively, have used every version of OSX since the 10.0 Public Beta AND have regularly visited questionable sites (yeah, deal with it) where one would expect to find the nasties which you fear.

    Never had an issue....

    Please, enlighten us....

    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.
    If none exist, then there is nothing to write protection from. Ergo, it's a waste of time.

    I'm with Zoolook, I don't leave anonymous rep either...


  11. #26

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware though .....
    Yes malware needs the Admin PW to be able to be on your Mac.....

    Are you in the business then of putting in your Admin PW, when not really knowing what you are putting it in for ?? Not very smart IMO
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  12. #27

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    21,872
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    "There be none so blind as them that will not see"!

    All AV software can download is Windows virus definitions for viruses that cannot run on the Unix operating system and you wonder why it finds zilch?

  13. #28

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    Probably because it's not actually doing anything! As virus only attact Windows PCs why are you checking your mac for them?
    Read
    Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

    Despite the rabid opposition, there are a few cases where running AV on a Mac has its place. Making blanket statements that is never needed is not true.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  14. #29

    JBob2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
    People can choose for themselves whether they want to install anti-malware software or not. I guess my point is that if you do choose to install it, Norton Internet Security for Mac is without question one of the best.

  15. #30

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,885
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by JBob2 View Post
    It is pretty impressive. It was on my PC and also seems to be on my mac. I don't care whether anyone else here uses it or not, but to constantly berate it when people obviously haven't tried the latest version, is ridiculous. I admit it, a few years ago it was a resource hog, but no more. It's fast and non-intrusive. People constantly chiming in "OOOh, Symantec is awful!", is just indicating how uninformed they are. (Sort of like Obama supporters.)

    It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware however, is that the majority of it is not viruses but other methods of attack, and I don't pretend to know what those methods are. I guess my point is that Norton Internet Security for Mac has no negative effect on the performance of my MBP so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.
    What I've found with Norton Internet Security and the PCs I've had to repair for my customers (and yes, the latest versions) is that more often than not, it's ineffective. The machine gets infected with some kind of malware and the first thing it does is partially disable Norton. Then, you've got a real problem, because now Norton has co-opted the TCP/IP stack with its craptastic firewall. So, you can't pull down any tools over the network, and you're stuck with using a USB key.

    What's worse is that more often than not, you can't uninstall it because the installer isn't smart enough to "heal" itself if conditions aren't EXACTLY what it's expecting. So, now you've got to download a special uninstaller from Symantec and hope and pray that it will actually rid the machine of Norton - and that's before you can even start nuking the bug that started the whole mess.

    I'm sorry, I've spent more time fighting Symantec products (including their Enterprise, non-AV products) than I have using them, and avoid them like the plague they are on my personal machines.

    On Windows, I use MSE and have not had a single malady on any of my boxes or VMs. On my Mac, I don't use an AV product (which by the way, will not protect you from yourself - you still need to practice safe surfing).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Security software
    By SRL in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM
  2. Security Software
    By Gandalph in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
  3. looking for home security software compatible with mac
    By golfchicknyc in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM
  4. Security Software...
    By ArrowJ in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
  5. Security software
    By chuff in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •