New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

DOC,TXT, * to PDF

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how do i convert a document (word, textfile, etc) to pdf. Consideirng the fact that Macs have pdf support, can i do it without having to purchase adobe acrobat full version?

Also, can i do it without having to install any third party applications like Doctor?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/DOCtor.shtml

So I guess in short, my quesiton is...can i convert doc, textfiles to pdf using macs' inbuilt features?

I'm running Tiger.

Thanks for any tips
jtr
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You cannot covert .doc or .txt files to .pdf with any of the included apps in OS X. You would have to purchase a third party app like Acrobat to do this.
Preview can only read PDF formats or change an image file to a PDF.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Well, you could use the option built right in Tiger for this. You would want to print out as a PDF. File->Print->(down in the left-hand corner) PDF->Save as PDF...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
Well, you could use the option built right in Tiger for this. You would want to print out as a PDF. File->Print->(down in the left-hand corner) PDF->Save as PDF...
That still won't convert a .doc file (at least as far as I can see, but I could be mistaken). Native OS X apps cannot open MS Word files, therefore will not be able to convert them directly from Word. AppleWorks/iWork can open .doc files, but cannot convert them to PDF. MS does not offer PDF conversion from within Word either, so you would need a third pary app to do this. I suppose it would be technically possible if you first converted the .doc to a TIFF somehow, then you could convert the TIFF to a PDF...but that seems a bit too much work.
The DOCtor app seems to be the best option for converting Word docs, outside of purchasing Acrobat or some other PDF creator app.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
That still won't convert a .doc file (at least as far as I can see, but I could be mistaken). Native OS X apps cannot open MS Word files, therefore will not be able to convert them directly from Word. AppleWorks/iWork can open .doc files, but cannot convert them to PDF. MS does not offer PDF conversion from within Word either, so you would need a third pary app to do this. I suppose it would be technically possible if you first converted the .doc to a TIFF somehow, then you could convert the TIFF to a PDF...but that seems a bit too much work.
The DOCtor app seems to be the best option for converting Word docs, outside of purchasing Acrobat or some other PDF creator app.
Anything that you can print you can convert to a PDF

I have a word document that I typed on a pc and had on my computer. I was able to export it as a PDF in both TextEdit and NeoOfficeJ and it worked fine, even retained all of the text information so I could search in preview for words

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Well, I guess I was wrong. I don't have Tiger and this option is not in 10.3.
You learn something new everyday! :black:

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Well, I guess I was wrong. I don't have Tiger and this option is not in 10.3.
You learn something new everyday! :black:
But there is a hack to enable that option in Panther. The "Print as PDF"-option actually exists in Panther, it's just hidden...Google it, and I'm sure you will find it very quick.
Panther is natively able to create PDFs, you can check that by simply doing a screenshot (command-shift-3 for the whole screen, command-shift-4 for a selected area). Panther saves screenshots as PDF, so it has to be able to create PDF.

And actually TextEdit, a native OS X app, is able to open, edit and save in DOC format...even in Panther... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
YES!!!!...I knew I saw that somewhere...just couldnt remember.

Thanks for reminding me. Yippee!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For the fun of it I fired up my G3 B&W running Jaguar 10.2.8 and went into Textedit. No export but if you open the print menu, right at the bottom, save to PDF. So you can even do it under Jaguar!!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

So I just tried it using an MS Word doc and lo and behold, when you open the Print menu, there it is, clear as day "Save as PDF"
Looks like you don't need any exta apps or hacks after all.
:black:

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Nope, that's a really great feature in OS X generally...

Windows users who've bought some sort of add-on to do that are amazed..."What, it can do that for FREE? How cool..."
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Nope, that's a really great feature in OS X generally...

Windows users who've bought some sort of add-on to do that are amazed..."What, it can do that for FREE? How cool..."
Well, Windows can't do it natively, but yet there are free and open-source tools that can do it. No need to spend one single cent...
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
So I just tried it using an MS Word doc and lo and behold, when you open the Print menu, there it is, clear as day "Save as PDF"
Looks like you don't need any exta apps or hacks after all.
:black:
Yeah, I remember now...they had forgotten it in the initial Panther release, but I think the 10.3.2 update fixed it.
The "hack" actually was very easy, simply create a folder called "PDF Services" in the System -> Library folder (not the User -> Library) and that's it! The "Save as PDF" option now appears in the print menu.

Pretty awkward how a missing folder can disable a feature...
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

One thing though, for typical use, this "Print to PDF" type of converting is fine. However, if you are in an industry where what you send is going to press, this will typically not be ok. You need either an applications that can export to PDF on it's own (ie. CS2, Quark, etc.) or, you must have Adobe Acrobat Pro. I say this because only those programs have the settings that are truly acceptable for press. However, if you are in an industry where you are going to press, you already know this and you know what settings to modify.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Yeah, I remember now...they had forgotten it in the initial Panther release, but I think the 10.3.2 update fixed it.
The "hack" actually was very easy, simply create a folder called "PDF Services" in the System -> Library folder (not the User -> Library) and that's it! The "Save as PDF" option now appears in the print menu.

Pretty awkward how a missing folder can disable a feature...
that is odd. My Powerbook was new enough when I got it to have 10.3.8, so that wasn't a problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Document Management Software? | Mail won't work with .Mac »