New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word Mac help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrTutt

MrTutt is on a distinguished road

I'm using Mac Office 8 on my new MBP. Recently, when I open a new or old document, the window does not display the checked toolbars--Standard and Formatting. Only by opening the toolbar options and unchecking and rechecking the choices one at a time can I get the tool bars to appear. This is a recent problem. I prefer to work in the Print View. Any suggestions. I'm using standard default settings, nothing special. Also, is there a way to lose the narrow ribbon that shows the Document Elements, etc. I really don't need that.

EMS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The selection of toolbars and the narrow ribbon are usually done once and become the default. In other words, they're updated to the normal template that Word loads each time you open a new document. It's possible that your normal template may be corrupt.

The best way to resolve that problem is to delete the normal template. Word will create another when it's started again. Or you could also open the normal template with Word, make changes, save it, and restart Word.

The normal template is located here:

/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

The file you need to delete or open and change is "Normal.dotm"

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

There's no way to remove that absurd 'elements' bar.... I make may own toolbar, turn off the standard and any other toolbar and put my personal toolbar on top of that elements thing. Keep the formatting palette (which I do like - puts toolbars etc off to the side, keeping as much vertical screen space free for the document).

I had a bit of a rant about the elements bar over at Macrumors (also about some scripts so you can easily set your document to your preferred zoom and window size) - Mac Office 2008 - Elements 'rant', auto size/zoom when open file & styles etc - Mac Forums

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
MrTutt

MrTutt is on a distinguished road

I finally figured out the mystery of the disappearing toolbars. The small oval button in the upper right hand corner of the Office Mac 08 Word window, hides, or shows the toolbars. One click and the frustrating problem was solved. Clearly I was over thinking this. Thanks to the folks who offered help.

EMS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Thanks for posting back. You're not the only one who pressed the small oval button by mistake. I probably should have remembered that also.
QUOTE Thanks
Craig24

Craig24 is on a distinguished road

I just spent three hours trying to edit the normal.dotm template when I finally read this trick of the small oval being clicked!! This appears to have fixed everything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macscan vs Intego Virus Barrier X6 (?) | Safari Start Up Tabs Homepage »