New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Sending Mail Problems with Sky Broadband!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christophe

christophe is on a distinguished road

OK. My problem.

I have had my email as xxxxxxx@ntlworld.com for 10 years now. Our internet provider used to be ntl hence my email address and then we got virgin broadband as they bought them out. Never had issues with mail in regards to sending or receiving. my pop account has been pop.ntlworld.com and outgoing smtp.ntlworld.com

I have just moved out and got sky broadband as virgin not in my area. Plug my computer in and i have been receiving mail fine. But i can no longer send mail.

I have tried my outgoing server as smtp.ntlworld.com, smtp.sky.com, smtp.tools.com, smtp.tools.sky.com and nothing works. I have treid changing the port number, send by authentication but NOTHING works.

I have no idea what to do and need help as it's very annoying.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

A lot of ISP mail providers now just use mail.name.co.country (maybe .com or .net). Try changing both pop and smtp settings to just 'mail'.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

You no longer pay NTL/Virgin for a service. Consequently they limit your account to receive only. There's nothing wrong with your configuration it's a limit on your account at their end.

All UK ISPs (to me knowledge) do this.

I'd recommend getting yourself a gmail account (or similar). That way your email is ISP independant and you don't have to go through this type of 'upset' when you move provider.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't install quicktime because "quicktime x is already installed" | Computer Science Freshman needs software help :-) »