New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Netflix Instant Viewing problem -- intermittent thin, black bars along bottom

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Roy G Biv

Roy G Biv is on a distinguished road

When streaming Netflix content on my Mac mini ('06 or '07, 1GB of RAM, 1.83 Core 2 Duo, wireless-g), a long, thin black bar will appear briefly in a flash, sometimes once every 10 seconds or so and other times several times every 10 seconds or so.

I've uninstalled Firefox, Flash, and Silverlight and then reinstalled them all. This actually improved the performance to what's described above. Before reinstalling, the black bar would be flashing every 2 or 3 seconds; and even worse, a black rectangle block would also flash along the right side. The black block stopped appearing after reinstalling. Audio and video (including HD) all play fine otherwise.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
Roy G Biv

Roy G Biv is on a distinguished road

I forgot to add that Hulu and Youtube 720p videos play fine with no such black areas appearing.
QUOTE Thanks
DURANDAL421

DURANDAL421 is on a distinguished road

I am also having this problem while using netflix and sivlerlight. I'd like to add that it seems that the black bars only show up on areas of the screen that where not covered by the window netflix is open in. This is hard to explain in words so I'll do my best. Say for example i have a window open in safari or firefox, and this window takes up 75% of my screen. the remaining 25% of the screen has the desktop visible. After this i press the fullscreen button on netflix. While watching in netflix the 25% of the screen that was uncovered by the browser window is where the black bars flash.

I have also tried reinstalling safari, firefox, and silverlight, and gotten no results.

I hope this bit of information helps at all
QUOTE Thanks
swiftfoot

swiftfoot is on a distinguished road

The intermittent black bar appears to be the Firefox status bar update interfering with the Silverlight plugin. To make it go away, make sure the View -> Status Bar is unchecked from the Firefox menu. Now when you go full screen using Netflix the intermittent black bar should no longer appear.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is ypur favourite new App you have got from the MAS ??? | Is this compatible? »