New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox - How to stop video Autoplay when opened in new tab

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ashy7

ashy7 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I bought a 2.4Ghz MacBook pro last week. It is my first Mac, and I am slowly getting used to it. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me out with (I have searched but found no answers!):

1) In Firefox on my old PC, and Safari on the current Mac, if I open a video in a new tab, the video would not auto-play, until I clicked on the tab. On Firefox on the Mac the video just auto plays. This is pretty annoying when I open 4 or 5 videos in different tabs and they all start playing. I want to click on the tab before it starts playing.

As safari on the Mac does not play the videos automatically, I am hoping there is a way to stop it on Firefox?

So an example is metacafe.com. If you open a video in a new tab, the video will start playing automatically, whether you click on the tab or not.

If you open up the same site in safari, and open the video in a new tab, the video will only start playing once you have clicked on the tab.

2) I know that holding cmd and clicking on a link opens it in a new window, but is it possible to assign for example a 3 finger click to open a link in a new tab?

Cheers
Ash
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Install Flashbock, not only will it keep the video from auto playing, your Mac will thank you for it. Flash uses a lot of CPU hence making your Mac run hotter, using this keeps the CPU usage down and you Mac will run cooler.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

This functionality can be added with BetterTouchTool,
Download BetterTouchTool for Mac - Customize gestures on your MacBook. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
ashy7

ashy7 is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the reply. I will install the touch app and give it a go.

In terms of the video autoplay, I used a different add-on - stop autoplay. It does the job, but I don't really want all flash to stop. If i click on a link to open in the tab I have open, I want it to autoplay. It is only when I open a video in a new tab, I do not want it to autoplay, until I click on the tab.

This way I can open a few different videos in different tabs and only play when I click on it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto 09 update compatibility with panasonic camera | Tricking iTunes into thinking an external hard drive is an iPod? Possible? »