New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

My iTunes is locked...now what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dangergirl

Ok, so I put in a new cd today (Louis XIV's Best Little Secrets Are Kept in case you're curious) and it didn't appear on my desktop, which I felt was odd. Then iTunes stops working - and doesn't pop up with the track listing. At this point I figure something is wonky and I try to eject the cd from my Mini using the eject button in iTunes. Doesn't work. So I force quit the application, thinking that maybe it's having a hiccup and I can restart iTunes, retrieve my cd and go on with my life, but a restart doesn't help.

In fact, now iTunes is locked and I can't use it. WTF? I've clearly never used an copy controlled cd's on my computer (it's still so new, I haven't even installed the iLife '05 that came with it yet!) so I'm sorry if this is a repeat of an issue you all dealt with months ago, but I can't find a history for this on the forum.

What can I do to
A) get the cd out
B) get iTunes working again
C) avoid this in the future

Thanks, I really need the help, I'm at my wit's end with this supposedly "relaxing" day off I'm having. GRR.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

hmmm don't know about the itunes problem since I have not heard of it, but to get your cd out, hold down the mouse button when booting up.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Repair permissions
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, then select your HD on the left, then click 'Repair Disk Permissions'

then restart and try iTunes again.
QUOTE Thanks
dangergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Repair permissions
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, then select your HD on the left, then click 'Repair Disk Permissions'

I've tried this, but the Utility freezes - or at least I get the happy spinning rainbow beachball. I've actually had to Force Quit that one as well. Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
dangergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
hmmm don't know about the itunes problem since I have not heard of it, but to get your cd out, hold down the mouse button when booting up.
I'm sorry, what's the mouse button? Do you mean the button on my mouse? I'm not using the Mac one-button mouse, but a USB one that is more egonomically suited to my smaller hands. Is it the equivalent of the left or right button?
QUOTE Thanks
dangergirl

Update: a hard restart of the mini popped the disc out. Is there a way to see if this cd affected or added anything to my computer while it had it's sinister grip on my iTunes?
QUOTE Thanks
dangergirl

Quote:
Repair permissions

Brilliant! Now that the disc has popped out, this works! Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangergirl
I'm sorry, what's the mouse button? Do you mean the button on my mouse? I'm not using the Mac one-button mouse, but a USB one that is more egonomically suited to my smaller hands. Is it the equivalent of the left or right button?
The left one.... but good to know that you got the cd out..

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Brilliant! Now that the disc has popped out, this works! Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers.

So the Permissions repair finally worked?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

yeah i think that is what she meant. I think the disc was in bad shape or was corrupted or something, very unlikely to buy a corrupted disc but I bet it could happen.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
dangergirl

Quote:
So the Permissions repair finally worked?
Yeah, the repair permissions worked...I don't have the guts to put the disc back in though. Is there a way to stop iTunes from allowing the copy-controlled software to load so that I can just play the songs like normal?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

Quote:
Yeah, the repair permissions worked...I don't have the guts to put the disc back in though. Is there a way to stop iTunes from allowing the copy-controlled software to load so that I can just play the songs like normal?
I don't think that is possible, maybe you can try versiontracker to see if there is any third party applications that allow this. I am not sure but I bet somebody else on these forums will be more sure of themselves.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

What CD has copy-control software? I would just try it again, I think it was just a system fluke and nothing to do with the CD, at least that is what I would do.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

Quote:
What CD has copy-control software? I would just try it again, I think it was just a system fluke and nothing to do with the CD, at least that is what I would do.
second that... now that I think about it, I don't think they actually started with the copy controll on cds yet, and when they do you will still be able to listen to them in iTunes just not copy them.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't reinstall DVDPlayer | Clear dock Question »