New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OpenOffice or NeoOffice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mhandelman1

mhandelman1 is on a distinguished road

For a while, I was using Mellel (it was good, but its interface took time to get used to), but my computer died on me, and I lost Mellel in the process (while I still have the license code, they don't put old versions of Mellel on their site.)

Anyways, while I still use this great program called Scrivener (Scrivener is more useful for longer papers I find, not as useful for shorter papers), it isn't really a proper 'word processor', I was wondering which word processor people prefer, OpenOffice or NeoOffice? I know NeoOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, but is there any substantive grounds for preferring one over the other?

I generally use a word processor for writing (social science) papers for university.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I assume you're looking for a free word processor? I believe more work has been done on Open Office lately than NeoOffice. Since they're both free, you can try them out and use whichever you prefer.

Also don't overlook the free "Bean" word processor. Very well done and similar to Pages. (from the iWork suite) And the nice thing about Bean is that you don't have to download and install a complete suite just for a word processor.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Or use Google Docs.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Or use Google Docs.
You bewdy! I never knew that existed.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As pointed out by others, neither OpenOffice nor NeoOffice is a "word processor." They are full office-style suites with word processing components (that I, as a professional writer, don't think much of quite frankly).

If all you need is a good word processor, I'll second Bean as an excellent free option. Pages 09 (part of the $79 iWork package) is also pretty outstanding now (finally) and also provides desktop publishing par excellence. Totally worth the money in my view.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
You bewdy! I never knew that existed.
Seriously, Hugh lol? Glad I could help you out then.

While I don't use Google Docs for heavy word processing, it is an awesome application for run of the mill stuff and it really shines when you need to work with a group on a spreadsheet or document.

Given how rapidly Google has developed it over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Google Docs is able to replace a regular office suite for most home and small business users.

I honestly think it's scared Microsoft enough and that is the only reason MS is playing with a cloud-based version of Office.

QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

Actually the program that works best with Scrivener is Nisus Writer Pro. Superb program! Never crashed in all the years I have used it, seamless integration with Scrivener and Bookends. Some real power features, too.

For cross-platform work, I use NeoOffice and occasionally OpenOffice. But for work with Scrivener, there is only one choice.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhandelman1 View Post
I generally use a word processor for writing (social science) papers for university.
This is the part that caught my eye. If you're a student, I understand the need to go cheap. That said, your school may offer versions of the non-free office suites (such as MS Office and iWork) and a reduced rate (perhaps even free). I'd suggest taking a trip down to the campus bookstore or to the computer store/department on campus and asking if they have cheaper copies. This may help to expand your available choices.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

That's true and a good suggestion, although I've never seen a copy of Mac Office discounted beyond the Student and Teacher version at around $129. But it's definitely worth checking.

I was able to get Windows 7 and Office 2010 for about $19.00 each through my college bookstore.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I was able to get Windows 7 and Office 2010 for about $19.00 each through my college bookstore.
I checked my daughter's college book store and they do sell the above at about the same price you quoted, but unfortunately nothing for the Mac. Seems a bit ridiculous since the same bookstore sells Apple hardware (computers and iPods).

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I just checked my campus bookstore and you get a 10, count it, $10 discount. Evidently Mac software doesn't get the same treatment as Windows software when it comes to student discounts. I've never really paid much attention to them as I've never really needed it but now it is very obvious where the discounts are. Although that may be the case with Microsoft, Adobe software is priced the same regardless of OS.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

That's because MS has a vested interest in the Windows OS and what better way than flooding the market with office programs for cheap.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari being REALLY slow & crashing | Joystick / Gamepad question »