New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Is there a way to sync folders between two computers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moe daklight

moe daklight is an unknown at this point

I work from two computers, and I need an easier way for my folders to be synced than contantly backing my working into a USB drive and dumping it into the other computer.

I need a way to make sure that when I make a change to folder "X" in computer A, the same change will happen to folder "X" in computer B. And vice versa.
QUOTE Thanks
Vitalion

Vitalion is on a distinguished road

Hello,

You can do this with an application from econ (Mac OS X Software | ChronoSync | ChronoAgent | Econ Technologies). you need to buy two licences that will cost you $80 both but it can perfom that task that you want. I am thinking of buying that software for a similar purpose.

if you want to go with a free solution you can get a dropbox account which is free (only for 2GB) so you can have it installed on both computers and acess you files. the same solution is available from LaCie Wuala (i think the free version is for 1GB).

Dropbox and LaCie Wuala have alternative plans for more storage with a variety of costs.

Vitalion
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'd highly recommend Dropbox. I use it myself, and you get a minimum of 2gb free. I use it to keep some files on my Mac and my work Windows machine in sync.

It also has a web interface if you ever wanted to access those files on-the-go from another machine.

It's super easy to use.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I'd highly recommend Dropbox
+1 for drop box. Its a invaluable little tool to be hooked up with. I use it everyday

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'll add in my support for Dropbox as well. I use it as a great way to access files from not only other computers but also between VMs (I could setup a shared drive but that is much more tedious). It's quick, it's stable and it's free - what else do you need.

My question for you is this - are you okay using an online service or do you want something local?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4

I'd second Dropbox as well.

Or, if both computers on are the same network...like at home...and you have an Airport Extreme, just plug a USB drive into it and you have a networked drive that everyone on your LAN can access.

Dragonhunter
QUOTE Thanks
moe daklight

moe daklight is an unknown at this point

dropbox looks great... but it's impossible for me to keep my Apple Mail and Safari bookmarks etc. in sync with it... I think that's only possible with chronosync.

I just don't want to pay $40 if all I'm going to be using it for is Mail and Safari, because dropbox seems much better for managing files and music.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You can use xmarks for Safari bookmark syncing, it's free.

You can use IMAP for Mail which should keep your mail accounts in sync.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading microsoft clip art? | macros for mac? »