New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft office for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

I just bought this at the apple store like 20 minutes ago. I inserted the dvd into my MBP's drive (last model) 13in. It takes it in then makes this weird sound and then after making that sound about 20 times, it spits the disc out. I'm not sure if this is with the disc or my macs drive... Help?

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Does your drive read other disks? If so, it's not the drive.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Yes it reads other CDs and DVDs fine. Im just confused on why it wouldn't even accept the disc. It will take the disc in and do it's thing but at the last noise it does when accepting the disc before the disc spins, it sticks on that and just keeps making that noise

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If other disks work fine...the MS Office disk could be bad or dirty.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Here I video taped this stupid thing.

YouTube - i hate microsoft

If the disc is dirty, who would I contact to either get a new disc? Microsoft or apple?

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Return it to the store. They can even test it out there I'm sure and if it's bad, I'm sure they'll exchange it.

QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Return it to the store. They can even test it out there I'm sure and if it's bad, I'm sure they'll exchange it.
Should I bring my mac with me to show what will happen?

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
the MS Office disk could be bad or dirty.
Check the readable surface of the disk, mostly nearer the centre, because that's where the problem is more likely to be. Slant the disk to get good light refraction and look for tiny scratches, or smudge marks. Was the disk case still wrapped in cellophane when you bought it?

I'd suggest taking the disk you have, and your Mac, into the Apple Store so that you can try an exchange MSOff disk before you buy it. The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypotatos View Post
Should I bring my mac with me to show what will happen?
You won't need your laptop to do the return...but if you get a 2nd MS Office install disk...this would allow you to test the 2nd disk before leaving the store...and not have to return a 3rd time.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Check the readable surface of the disk, mostly nearer the centre, because that's where the problem is more likely to be. Slant the disk to get good light refraction and look for tiny scratches, or smudge marks. Was the disk case still wrapped in cellophane when you bought it?

I'd suggest taking the disk you have, and your Mac, into the Apple Store so that you can try an exchange MSOff disk before you buy it. The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.
No the disc itself wasn't rapped in plastic, but the whole box was. I looked at the disc and there are some weird marks (not scratches) on the disc. It looks like maybe there was adhesive on the disc at one point

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.
Actually that's iffy in the US at least. Technically once you open a piece of software, the retailer is not obligated to allow return of the software. They can at that point make you work directly with the software company.

Now whether they'll allow a return is usually up to a particular retailer, and many do so on a case by case basis.

In this case, I'm sure Apple will be willing to do an exchange.

QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Actually that's iffy in the US at least. Technically once you open a piece of software, the retailer is not obligated to allow return of the software. They can at that point make you work directly with the software company.

Now whether they'll allow a return is usually up to a particular retailer, and many do so on a case by case basis.

In this case, I'm sure Apple will be willing to do an exchange.
It does say on the receipt that there is no open box returns accepted. I'm assuming this would be different since it doesnt work?

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
It does say on the receipt that there is no open box returns accepted. I'm assuming this would be different since it doesnt work?
I can't say for sure. They may send you to Microsoft, you can't be certain until you go there and ask.

But one thing is certain, your problem isn't going to be fixed in this thread...so get moving to the Apple store you purchased this from and let us know how it goes.

QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
I can't say for sure. They may send you to Microsoft, you can't be certain until you go there and ask.

But thing is certain, your problem isn't going to be fixed in this thread...so get moving to the Apple store you purchased this from and let us know how it goes.
Ok thanks for the help dudes. Ill probably be going to the apple store tommorrow or friday.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Open software is usually exchangeable for the same product/software title....just no refunds.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes problem. | Onyx? »