New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

.Mac - A new, free, antivirus for Mac OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

badmojo

I got this link off of the Apple support forums but I have not installed the program. Just though a few here may be interested.

http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=871

edit: Just saw this too. Virex 7.6 Dunno if this works with Tiger, tho.

http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/pro...20Requirements
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

That's nice, except there are no viruses on OS X! As I understand it, Mac virus software just stops you spreading them to PCs, which you're not likely to do anyway unless you manually propagate them, as the self-propagating mechanisms won't work on the Mac, as it doesn't have any viruses.

Or?
QUOTE Thanks
kenjyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermidor
That's nice, except there are no viruses on OS X! As I understand it, Mac virus software just stops you spreading them to PCs, which you're not likely to do anyway unless you manually propagate them, as the self-propagating mechanisms won't work on the Mac, as it doesn't have any viruses.

Or?
Or indeed, thermidor is right as in there are no viruses written for Mac OS X, yet! And it is the "yet" part of the statement that needs heed. I have been using Clam Antivirus for about a month now (using Tiger) and it has worked a treat. My Mini sits on my (mainly Windows) network and has found a couple of viruses that were on my Windows fileserver. The fileserver did not detect these - so in conclusion, even though the risk is almost nonexistent it is better to be protected than not (and especially if you are connecting to a Windows :spook: share!).
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Personally I think that people who just chime in with "there are no viruses for Mac OSX!" are overly naieve. To assume it will never happen is foolish and in the long run is just asking for trouble. Imagine the time when someone does write a self-propogating virus that affects Macs...I don't think the end result will be pretty. Computing security should always be a focus whether a current threat exists or not.

Also how many Macs are never networked to a Windows machine in some way or how many Mac never use the Internet? I would venture to say very few. Even if a Mac has the opportunity to stop a Windows virus from spreading any further that's a good thing. Being good stewards of the computing world definitely has a positive side.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I've had protection from day one of using my Mac.. I have many windows friends, wouldn't want to infect them, plus it's just a matter of time before OX gets nailed with everyone buying a Mac now.. It just common curiosity to think of others, even if they have a pc.. hehe
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I prefer to use anti virus software so that I will not spread the viruses to my windows machine. My computer is the computer in the house that can not get the viruses itself but I don't want to give viruses to my family because I am a carrier.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
My computer is the computer in the house that can not get the viruses itself but I don't want to give viruses to my family because I am a carrier.
Exactly, I make fun of my PC friends bragging about not getting spyware or a virus, it would really be embarrassing to give someone one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« C&C Generals | Molecule Drawing Programs? »