New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail accounts question????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judoguy

judoguy is on a distinguished road

Hi I am new to this forum, need some advice

I have few mail accounts and I would like to keep them separate can anyone suggest me what software to use for my second mail account? I use regular Mail applications for my primary one.

Thank you
Judoguy
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you didn't realize that the Mail app that comes with your computer and pretty much all software based email software will handle several email accounts.

You manage them all in the same program but each email account gets a separate folder. In order for this to be possible it depends on what type of email accounts you have and from who. Some email servers, like Yahoo, don't allow outside access to your emails unless you pay.

Most email servers have help files that will walk you through the steps on how to setup your emails for Apple's Mail and other email software.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Right. Just set up as many of your email accounts as you want in the Mail app on your Mac. They will show up under "Inbox" with whatever label/name you give them.
For instance, I have one for Hotmail and one for Gmail. Whichever one I click on, it shows me the Inbox for that account. Even works if you have more than one Gmail (or whatever provider) account. Just name them something different so you know which is which.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
angelamarcelun

angelamarcelun is on a distinguished road

I actually have a question about the Mail app. I want to add my mail accounts without downloading all the mail in each of those accounts (tens of thousands of emails). Is there a way to do this? In other words, I dont want it to download all previous messages, just start loading them as they come in after I add the accounts.

Thanks! Im new as well.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough

You will have to use POP instead of IMAP. I also use POP for my own reasons. With POP it will only download new mail and won't sync your old emails to the Mail app like IMAP does. Basically nothing you do is synced so for example deleting emails in Mail doesn't delete them on the server.

Mail 4.0 defaults to IMAP and hides the option of choosing POP. In order to use POP when you setup a new account and you get to the area where it tells you to setup IMAP, you have to hold down either Command, Option, or Control key and it will give you the option to choose POP instead. It's been awhile since I've set mine up so I forgot which key it is.

If you are using an older version of Mail then you can manually choose either POP or IMAP. Apparently Apple wants us all to use IMAP instead.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

IMAP is a much better format if you plan on accessing your mail from several locations or devices since it will keep everything in sync. That's probably why they set IMAP to the default.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

I do realize the benefits of IMAP. I just find it interesting that Apple choose to hide the POP option. Sometimes they cut out or hide too many options in order to make things easier on the users. I still prefer a choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Well technically, you DO have a choice since Mail DOES allow you to choose POP. You also have the choice of using an email client other than Mail, such as Thunderbird.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

Sorry I was speaking generally about Apple at the end of my statement and not about Mail. I was talking about how some other Apple products don't allow choice. Anyway I do have Thunderbird installed but there are certain things I like about Mail better.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sims 3 Installation | All Video Stopped Working in Safari (using iMac) »