New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

saving .txt with Numbers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Snorkle

Snorkle is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to save a file as .txt with numbers?

It won't let me save .txt w/o adding .numbers, so that it looks like filename.txt.numbers

I can convert to a filename.xls, but then can't convert that to filename.txt and be able to open it with a text editor.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't understand why you need or would want to save a spreadsheet file as text? You would lose all formatting if you did and any kind of graphing would likewise be lost.

If there are parts of the Numbers or Excel file you want to export to text, you can always do that with copy and paste. But again, you would have to consider the formatting.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Snorkle

I am working with a large data set and want to delete two entries from every line. If i load it into a spreadsheet I can easily delete the two columns then save it as a text file and open it with the program that i am using to manipulate the data.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Numbers can export tables as CSV files, which are text-based.

It's hard to translate a table of values, with rows and columns, into a plain old .txt file.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

File -> Export
QUOTE Thanks
Snorkle

thanks for the replies, not working though.

I was trying to avoid DLing and installing excel, but alas that's what I had to resort to. It's just silly that numbers doesn't have this basic function that excel has been doing for ages.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Copy and the section you want, open Textedit, select "format > make plain text" and paste.

Save to create a .txt.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWork Issue - Unexpectedly Quits | iPages '08 Word Art »