New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Where do you GUI modders get your icons from and:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

And which app or apps do you guys use to change stuff like themes, docks, dock indicators etc.. ? I've been bitten by the 'fidget bug' and would like to change the look of my desktop, folder icons, dock icons and all that jazz. For the moment I only have Dock Library, which works fine to change just the dock, but it seems really picky about what it wants to install, for some reason. I downloaded a bunch of nice docks which are .png files, but it wouldn't import them, while it did so for other .png files. Not sure why.

But Dock Library doesn't let me change the indicators (not that I've seen) and those usually add a nice bit of flair to the dock. I've also tried DockSwitcher, (just now) but it did absolutely nothing at all ! Didn't work for beans, so I ditched it.

So, what app or apps are you guys using to pimp your GUI ? If it's a resource hog, I'm not really interested and would rather just have a plain ol' looking desktop and such.

Thanks !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

When I did modify stuff I used:
Panic - CandyBar 3 - Change and Organize Your Mac OS X Icons and Dock

And got most of the icons/docks/etc from:
Iconfactory : Freeware : Icon

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Candybar 3 to switch the icons, and these sites for Icons

MacThemes Forum / Mac Releases
iconpaper
Iconfactory : Freeware : Icon
Browsing Mac OS on deviantART
Browsing Dock Icons on deviantART
Submit, Download, and Search Custom Leopard Docks - LeopardDocks.com

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Thanks guys. Does Candybar 3 also allow one to change, create and customize the dock ? I'm more interested in that opposed to just icons, which are easier to deal with. I downloaded it, and to be honest, the interface (IMO) isn't very self explanatory. I see a ton of icons on the top panel, which I don't seem to be able to highlight or do anything with. Maybe I was just tired the first time I looked, and will have to try again.

I was just hoping to find an app very similar to Dock Library which simply imports .png's and allows you to change the dividers and indicators as well as the main dock image. Candybar seems to be a bit more complicated than that.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I haven't used it in awhile, but I'm about 99% positive it changes the Dock and collects styles also.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I was just hoping to find an app very similar to Dock Library which simply imports .png's and allows you to change the dividers and indicators as well as the main dock image. Candybar seems to be a bit more complicated than that.
Take a look at SuperDocker.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Thanks, I'll have a look at Super Docker. I've been using Candybar for a bit, and find it to be entirely inconsistent. When I apply changes to icons, it seems to leave specific ones totally untouched all together. I believe they are the ones which I've already altered manually with the ol' copy and paste in Inspector trick.

So I'm not finding it to be anything but a bit of a hassle. Has anyone come across this issue before ? Are there any really good tutorials for Candybar 3 out there ? I've been looking but have only found some very basic ones, or ones that were long, but didn't really go in to detail about how things are actually done with it.

Doug

Edit: Looking at the description, SuperDocker looks like it does pretty much the same things that Onyx does, sans changing the dock color, which I don't care about. I just want to change the entire dock including the indicators etc...
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

You might also enjoy GeekTool - not for icons, it's lets you customize your desktop
Tynsoe projects
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look at Super Docker. I've been using Candybar for a bit, and find it to be entirely inconsistent. When I apply changes to icons, it seems to leave specific ones totally untouched all together. I believe they are the ones which I've already altered manually with the ol' copy and paste in Inspector trick.

So I'm not finding it to be anything but a bit of a hassle. Has anyone come across this issue before ? Are there any really good tutorials for Candybar 3 out there ? I've been looking but have only found some very basic ones, or ones that were long, but didn't really go in to detail about how things are actually done with it.
Yes... if you have custom icons applied, that likely is the reason CandyBar won't change them. And yes.. CB does change the Docks in the same manner SuperDocker does.

I've never seen or even heard of a tutorial for using CandyBar. I'm a bit baffled that you even think using it is a hassle... it's as easy as it gets. Just drag an icon onto the item you want changed. If you download an icon set in the iContainer format, then it'll apply all of them for you.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« rich text/HTML not displaying in Mail | Microsoft Project for OS X »