New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Launch Failure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keilo

keilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP

I installed a copy of Drive Genius on my mac osx, but never used it so deleted the app. But now when I turn on the mac I get this error message..

Launch Failure

The main Drive Genius application could not be
found. Please copy the application from the drive
Genius install DVD to your local disk.

I do not have a install disk for this software, so unable to do as it says. Did I not uninstall it correctly? and how can I get rid of this problem/error message?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items to see if it's nestling in there. If so, remove it, reboot, and see if the problem persists.

Second option. Use Cmd-F (Finder) from Desktop, and search using the keyword(s) Drive or Drive Genius and see what's found. You can move any items located to Trash (select > Cmd-Delete) and delete them later.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
keilo

keilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt have much joy though. Drive genius is not listed in the Login Items, and I cant find any drive genius files by searching in the finder, anything else anybody can think of?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Open your Finder and navigate to the following:

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/

If it's in either place or both, delete the folder or files.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
marbecca

marbecca is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the easy solution to the Drive Genius "launch failure" message upon start up...... I appreciate your posting
QUOTE Thanks
lee.perrin

lee.perrin is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I have read through these helps and tried all. Nothing is left with which relates to drive genius and still I get this message. Can you help?
QUOTE Thanks
maintreqd

maintreqd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.perrin View Post
Hi guys,

I have read through these helps and tried all. Nothing is left with which relates to drive genius and still I get this message. Can you help?
I am in the same situation here folks. Only thing left is to reformat my HD unless someone can help!
QUOTE Thanks
Mike Poole

Mike Poole is on a distinguished road

The easiest way to remove the 'Launch Failure' warning after having uninstalled the program is to go to the Prosoft download page at Prosofteng.com/downloads. Then:
  1. Download the trial version of Drive Genius 3 (to uninstall it again)
  2. Install it
  3. When Drive Genius is running, go to the tool bar at the top of your screen and select uninstall
  4. When the uninstall dialogue box appears select 'uninstall all'
  5. After uninstalling, log out of your Apple user profile or just reboot*

When you reboot, the warning won't appear. I just did this after a week of lazily ignoring the warning.

*Note: I logged out, logged back in and then rebooted, for good measure, but that probably isn't necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
maintreqd

maintreqd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
The easiest way to remove the 'Launch Failure' warning after having uninstalled the program is to go to the Prosoft download page at Prosofteng.com/downloads. Then:
  1. Download the trial version of Drive Genius 3 (to uninstall it again)
  2. Install it
  3. When Drive Genius is running, go to the tool bar at the top of your screen and select uninstall
  4. When the uninstall dialogue box appears select 'uninstall all'
  5. After uninstalling, log out of your Apple user profile or just reboot*

When you reboot, the warning won't appear. I just did this after a week of lazily ignoring the warning.

*Note: I logged out, logged back in and then rebooted, for good measure, but that probably isn't necessary.
holy crap. your one week = my year plus of dealing with this. so words cannot explain how grateful I am of you for posting this. I was legitimately going to reformat my computer one of these days to rid myself of that stupid error.

again, thank you thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mike Poole

Mike Poole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintreqd View Post
holy crap. your one week = my year plus of dealing with this. so words cannot explain how grateful I am of you for posting this. I was legitimately going to reformat my computer one of these days to rid myself of that stupid error.

again, thank you thank you!!
Hi, no problem. Happy to help.
QUOTE Thanks
Lolocf

Lolocf is on a distinguished road

As a switcher from command line OS, it may be easier to me.
As state above, the offending file is in this directory :

Mac_HD/Library/LaunchAgents

For some reasons (simplicity ?) this folder may appear blank in the Finder
Open a terminal windows (I use iTerm wich is great) and type these commands :

cd /Library/LaunchAgents
ls -l

You should see this file (at least) :

com.prosofteng.DGMonitor.plist

Remove it (type: rm com.prosofteng.DGMonitor.plist) , this will solve your problem.

Hope this help !
QUOTE Thanks
dhalia1930

dhalia1930 is on a distinguished road

I tried this one and it worked: MacIntosh HD/Library/application support/

you should find the drive genius folder there
QUOTE Thanks
schneideris

schneideris is on a distinguished road

I had the similar problem and did not locate the plist in the Launch folders. Wondering if they were someplace else, and before seeing the post by dhalia1930, I did a locate.

To do so go to Terminal (I tried using Finder but it would not show the file or folder) and type (or copy and paste) the following command:

Code:
locate com.prosofteng.DGMonitor.plist
I found the same folder that dhalia1930 noted and then deleted it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running Videos, Photos, and Slideshows for a Displaycase | App store won;t let me sign in »