Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Qt

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Qt
    Hi
    I recently uninstalled Quicktime coz sometime ago I installed some codecs which were for only trial period to pay a specific video format and after their expiry there came always a water-mark when playing videos in Quicktime; so I uninstalled QT with the understanding that I'll reinstall the regular QT and this water-mark will vanish. So, I downloaded QT 7.0 and when I ran the .dmg file it said that "Your system has already an updated version of QT installed", but in fact there isn't any; I have already uninstalled that.

    Any help?

  2. #2

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,306
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Have you also trashed the QTPlayer .plist file, which is in Home > Library > Preferences? You may also need to trash the QT Plugin prefs, but don't do that right away.

    It's ALWAYS a good idea to use the application's own uninstaller, or a third-party one like AppZapper or CleanApp, to get rid of unwanted stuff completely.

    If the problem persists after trashing the .plist file, you may need to reinstall the the QT version you took out, and then use an uninstaller.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jun 26, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quicktime Problems
    I tried to install quicktime 7, but my mac said it couldn't because quicktime X was already install on there, I've been through and deleted every quicktime file but the installer still says quicktime X is there, only now I can't use quicktime to view any video files?

    I've given my copy of snow leopard disc to a friend, if I buy another copy and reinstall snow leopard will that fix the problem?

  4. #4

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,306
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Did you trash the QTime files manually? If so, you're likely to have missed something. Some QT files are tucked away inside the System, hard to identify, let alone find. For example, did you toss out com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist, also com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist? From desktop, use Cmd-F and the keyword 'quick' (w/out the ' ') and see what is found.

    To delete applications and their associated files successfully, it's recommended that you use EITHER the app's own uninstaller, OR a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or CleanApp.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 26, 2010
    Posts
    4
    yeah I did delete them manually, I've just used Appcleaner to remove it though and it's still telling me quicktime X is somewhere on the mac.....

  6. #6

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,462
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    QT X and QT 7 are both installed with a default install of Snow Leopard. QT 7 is (was) located in the Applications / Utilities folder.

    Your issue trying to install it at this point is probably located somewhere in the hidden system files that indicates what has been installed so that Software Update works properly. Am not sure where that is located.

    Here is Apple's instructions for installing QT7 and QT7 Pro in Snow Leopard.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

    You'll need your SL disc to do it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  7. #7

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,306
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsinimo View Post
    yeah I did delete them manually, I've just used Appcleaner to remove it though and it's still telling me quicktime X is somewhere on the mac.....
    I think the problem you've now encountered is that you've removed what AppCleaner needs to do its work, namely the application. Under older OS, there were two forks, called resource (the application) and data (supporting files). You've taken out the resource, but some of the data remains.

    Manually search the Home > Library > Preferences ƒ too, to see what quicktime files may be lurking there. Then go to Mac HD > System folder > Library, you'll probably find even more QTime files there.

    Be careful about manually trashing anything you don't know about, or you may end up having to reinstall OS X. QTime is an integrated part of it.

    Possible Solution (assuming you have actually searched with Cmd-F): try reinstalling the previous QTime, and THEN try AppCleaner again.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Did you trash the QTime files manually? If so, you're likely to have missed something. Some QT files are tucked away inside the System, hard to identify, let alone find. For example, did you toss out com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist, also com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist? From desktop, use Cmd-F and the keyword 'quick' (w/out the ' ') and see what is found.

    To delete applications and their associated files successfully, it's recommended that you use EITHER the app's own uninstaller, OR a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or CleanApp.
    I did the Cmd-F search and found some files (I have attached the screen-captures below). Now, tell me what to do with these. Because I am facing the same problem, trying to install QT and it says that a newer version is already installed but I have already deleted that (I think manually).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,306
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Unfortunately the images appear with titles truncated, so I can't comment reliably. It's better that you select an icon, press Return to highlight just the title, and copy-paste to text. Then post again.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Qt
    Hi

    I deleted Quicktime with an understanding that I'll be able to get rid of some codes - on 30 days trials - which were constantly staying on the screen and I'll install Quicktime again.

    Now, when I download Quicktime and run the 'dmg' file, it says that updated version of QT is already installed, which is actually not the case because it's been deleted.

    There may be some files related to QT in the system yet. How can I get rid of them so that system is once clear from those files and I can install QT again. Even I tried to install QT Pro, same message displayed.

    Any help?

  11. #11

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,462
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    NOTE: I have merged three duplicate threads.

    It will do no good to continue asking the same question in a new thread over and over again without responding to let anyone know if you have tried the previous suggestions you have been provided.

    My own personal suggestion is going to be to use Pacifist to reinstall QT X and QT7 from the Snow Leopard disc and then use the Apple article provided above to install any additional QT7 components you need.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  12. #12

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsinimo View Post
    I've given my copy of snow leopard disc to a friend, if I buy another copy and reinstall snow leopard will that fix the problem?
    Hmm...well doing something illegal will cost you in the end, now you'll have to buy another disk to reinstall OS X.

    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    I deleted Quicktime with an understanding that I'll be able to get rid of some codes - on 30 days trials - which were constantly staying on the screen and I'll install Quicktime again.
    Wouldn't it just have been easier to delete the codecs than delete a primary system component like Quicktime?

    Most like the only solution will be a full reinstall of OS X.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  13. #13


    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Hmm...well doing something illegal will cost you in the end, now you'll have to buy another disk to reinstall OS X.



    Wouldn't it just have been easier to delete the codecs than delete a primary system component like Quicktime?

    Most like the only solution will be a full reinstall of OS X.
    Ok. At the moment, I have Leopard. If I upgrade it to Snow Leopard, will this solve the issue? Have so many paid apps or programs installed on my system; will lose them If I reinstall current OS X. Or, is it possible to back up those paid apps/programs? How?

    I have read at many places that SL is not that stable. People complain a lot about system crashing.

  14. #14

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    Ok. At the moment, I have Leopard. If I upgrade it to Snow Leopard, will this solve the issue? Have so many paid apps or programs installed on my system; will lose them If I reinstall current OS X. Or, is it possible to back up those paid apps/programs? How?

    I have read at many places that SL is not that stable. People complain a lot about system crashing.
    Upgrading or reinstalling won't necessarily make you lose data or programs, but having a backup is always a good thing to do in general.

    But, I assume if you paid for the software you either have the install disks or worst case, the license keys if the software was downloaded, so worst case scenario, you could always reinstall those items.

    Upgrading to Snow Leopard will leave all your data intact. Reinstalling Leopard should do so also as long as you don't choose a clean install which wipes your drive.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jan 09, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Upgrading or reinstalling won't necessarily make you lose data or programs, but having a backup is always a good thing to do in general.

    But, I assume if you paid for the software you either have the install disks or worst case, the license keys if the software was downloaded, so worst case scenario, you could always reinstall those items.

    Upgrading to Snow Leopard will leave all your data intact. Reinstalling Leopard should do so also as long as you don't choose a clean install which wipes your drive.
    But you didn't answer whether this will solve the issue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •