New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results: Which web browser do you mainly use?
Safari 319 44.18%
Firefox 200 27.70%
Chrome 184 25.48%
Opera 13 1.80%
Camino 5 0.69%
Other 1 0.14%
Voters: 722. You may not vote on this poll

Which web browser do you use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shinobi93

Shinobi93 is on a distinguished road

I also just didn't get along with Firefox on my Mac, even though I tell everyone with Windows to get it. I am pretty hooked to Safari, mainly due to the fact that I can type one letter, press enter and it'll take me straight to my most viewed site starting with that. I haven't found another browser that does that, they all come up in a drop down list (and I really love that aspect of Safari, just for speed and ease).

I am trialling Chrome though, as it looks pretty nice on a Mac. It's unlikely to beat Safari though, I think.
QUOTE Thanks
Shadow Jolteon

Shadow Jolteon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (5,3), 2.8 GHz, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM | OS X 10.6, Debian 6, Whendoze 7

I use Safari 5 as my main web browser, on Mac OS X and Whendoze. I use Midori on Debian.

QUOTE Thanks
Lord Alveric

Lord Alveric is on a distinguished road

On the Mac: Safari. On Windows: IE, Safari and Soapera.

I hate FlawedFox with a passion and I won't touch anything from Google if I can help it.

Wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual.
QUOTE Thanks
TaylorAlex

TaylorAlex is on a distinguished road

Safari - love it! I have PC also, here I'm using Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
dmordigal

dmordigal is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love how Internet Explorer isn't listed in these things

I use Firefox, I'm just used to it from when I used it on Windows. I know Safari works better with Macs, but I had an annoying time with it on Windows and I don't feel like constantly switching between browsers.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmordigal View Post
I absolutely love how Internet Explorer isn't listed in these things

I use Firefox, I'm just used to it from when I used it on Windows. I know Safari works better with Macs, but I had an annoying time with it on Windows and I don't feel like constantly switching between browsers.
Reason why IE is not listed is it's not available on OSX except for an antique version from many years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
DescendeadRose

DescendeadRose will become famous soon enough

I use Safari Before I got my Mac ALL that I used was Opera, because it's the only browser that can literally do EVERYTHING perfectly (for me) fresh from install without any extensions/plugins, and was by FAR the fastest. But I just don't like the Mac version :/ and Safari suits my needs just fine I actually like it a lot now! I wish it had some features I miss but on the whole I really like it!

Late 2010 iMac 27inch
2.93GHz i7
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm an Opera user - what don't you like about the Mac version? I'll admit it's not the nicest looking but it has come a long way.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DescendeadRose

Well, the looks could improve of course... But that wasn't really it for me. The main thing was when I tried it, everything seemed to integrate so much better with Safari. I haven't really had time to mess with it more since then (I've only had my Mac for just under a week), but is there a way to get it to actually be the default browser? I set it as such, but was still getting Safari to pop up much of the time. I just haven't had time to really work with it, just went with what was easier for now I sure do miss the ad blocker it had built in! Among other things...

Late 2010 iMac 27inch
2.93GHz i7
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever I set as the default through Safari preferences works for me. This is the recommended method on Opera's site as well. Are there any particular applications that open Safari regardless of your choice?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DescendeadRose

Tried that and it works!! Thanks! I think last time I did it through Opera, or maybe I was just Mac stupid It seems everything uses Opera now! Glad for that, I have missed it! (Safari is great, but I just don't think anything can beat Opera overall, at least for where/how I browse) Thanks!!

Late 2010 iMac 27inch
2.93GHz i7
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Wenfuli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD

I would like to participate in the poll, but I don't know what to answer.

I've been using mostly Safari on my iMac for no other reason than just because, but lately I've had Flock running for sites such as Facebook and Twitter. On my Ubuntu netbook I use either Chrome or Firefox but mostly Chrome since it's lighter than Firefox and my netbook only has 1GB of RAM. I use Chrome on my Ubuntu laptop because it's old and only has 512MB of RAM -- half of what is stated as being required. My office computer -- also running Ubuntu -- runs Firefox mostly for the same reason as above -- just because.

(I know that's a lot of Linux, but MacOS isn't possible due to financial -- and in the case of my office computer bureaucratic -- reasons and Linux is preferable to Windows.)

The browser I like the most, however, is Opera. Unfortunately, there are too many sites that don't work well with it, so I have stopped using it. If those sites worked on or supported Opera, I would probably use it exclusively.

I haven't personally noted any speed differences or problems between browsers. They all seem to work fast enough for me, and I have better things to do than use a stopwatch while I'm browsing. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenfuli View Post
The browser I like the most, however, is Opera. Unfortunately, there are too many sites that don't work well with it, so I have stopped using it. If those sites worked on or supported Opera, I would probably use it exclusively.
I found that this used to be the case but I've noticed more and more that this is less of an issue. What version of Opera are you using?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

My wife and I share the MBP, so she uses Safari, and I use Chrome. That allows us both to stay logged in to our own Facebook, twitter, etc., without having to use separate user accounts. Plus, I really love Chrome's simple layout.

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Wenfuli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I found that this used to be the case but I've noticed more and more that this is less of an issue. What version of Opera are you using?
On my Ubuntu machine, version 10.63, which is likely the latest build that Ubuntu supports since I have not been asked to upgrade. You and I will have to wait until I get home from work to discover what version is no my iMac.

I found the biggest culprit was Google. Deleting certain messages in GMail caused it -- the site, not Opera -- to freeze up, requiring a restart of Opera to get the site working again. A lot of editing in Blogger were not available under Opera either. A big problem, however, is Garmin Connect. They do not support Opera at all. I am able to view the data from my rides (I am a cyclist and use Garmin's Edge 500 to keep track of my rides), but I am not able to upload ride data using Opera. I don't think their site supports Safari either, only IE and Firefox.

But in all honesty I have not tried Opera for those tasks in a while. If, as you say, things are better, I will probably switch. As I said earlier, I am currently using Flock for things like Facebook and Twitter, but I find there is no real advantage to doing so. I just may dump Flock and use Opera for those things -- and probably most of my browsing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes podcast refresh button stopped working | iPhoto keeps rebuilding the iPhoto library thumbnails »