New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results: Which web browser do you mainly use?
Safari 316 44.13%
Firefox 197 27.51%
Chrome 184 25.70%
Opera 13 1.82%
Camino 5 0.70%
Other 1 0.14%
Voters: 716. You may not vote on this poll

Which web browser do you use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lesarmitage

lesarmitage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone

Chrome - no question. Used on MAC and the dreadful PC when I have too. Chrome is by far and away the quicker with far less hassle.

Les Armitage
People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com
QUOTE Thanks
iWish

iWish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video

I started with Safari because, hey, it came with my first Mac. I reasoned that anything would be better than Internet Explorer, which I had used as a PC user. However, I couldn't upload photos to various web sites and there were other little issues. In other words, it didn't "just work".

Enter Camino, because I didn't realize at the time that I could use Firefox on a Mac, and this solved my problems with Safari. However, it had less bells and whistles, i.e. features and customization, than Firefox. In fact, Camino to me is too 'plain Jane'.

Once I realized that Firefox could run on a Mac, it was a no-brainer. I find it to be on par with Safari in terms of features and customization, but without the issues. However, I haven't tried to do these same things with my new MBP running Snow Leopard; the issues I had with Safari were on my Mini running Tiger.

However, I like Firefox so much that I have no desire to give Safari another shot. It's the only Apple product I don't care much for, and it hasn't won me back.

I tried Chrome for part of a day a while back on a PC, but I didn't find any speed advantage over Firefox on a PC. Not sure how this would be on a Mac, but again I like Firefox too much to care about trying Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
afesposit

afesposit is on a distinguished road

Recently started using Firefox.

QUESTION:

How do I make Firefox load when clicking on a link in my email? Need to change the default from Safari.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Open up Safari and in its preference click on the general tab. At the top there is an area for default browser. Choose Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Safari 5 with several extensions.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
Recently started using Firefox.

QUESTION:

How do I make Firefox load when clicking on a link in my email? Need to change the default from Safari.

Thank you.
In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > General > Default Web Browser. This will make your choice the default web browser on your Mac.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CFC

CFC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X version 10.5.8 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Memory

Chrome is the best!

Once you go mac, you never go back!
QUOTE Thanks
elgunvo

elgunvo is on a distinguished road

I use chrome because, well i don't know.

To be honest Safari 5 is good but I have used google for searches and now their browser... I think i'm being brainwashed
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

On Macintosh, I use Safari. On Windows, I use Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
kilrane

kilrane is on a distinguished road

I just recently switched and I'm pretty pleased with Safari 4 (I plan to update to 5 when I have a chance). I use Chrome in Linux and Windows but I have yet to find a reason to use it in OS X so far.
QUOTE Thanks
jsgal

jsgal will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Mini OS X 10.6.4, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD

I use FF because with all my new learning, it's the browser I am comfortable with.

I try Safari once in a while, but it seems slow for web surfing and I get that beach ball when just trying to go to another page in a forum, etc.

I have a question related to the dreaded IE. I have several sites (banking, medical, etc.) that are only compatible with IE. What do I do? Use a different computer??, because it doesn't look like I can do this here, right?

Thanks in advance for your input....
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

If the website just checks for the browser string and denies you on that you can let Firefox fake IE.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59/

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
jsgal

jsgal will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Mini OS X 10.6.4, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
If the website just checks for the browser string and denies you on that you can let Firefox fake IE.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59/
Is the only way to know if that's the case to install and try this?
If so, what would I pick for the choice to fake IE?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Archangele

Archangele will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card

Hot Java! on my Ultra 60... Kidding!!! On my iMac I use Safari and on my PC I use Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Love Camino. Main Browser on 2 of my 3 computers. Never bothered to put it on my iBook though. On there I use FireFox.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer Mail archives from version 2.1.3 to versiin 4.6 | IStat removal problem »