New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results: Which web browser do you mainly use?
Safari 321 44.03%
Firefox 201 27.57%
Chrome 187 25.65%
Opera 13 1.78%
Camino 5 0.69%
Other 2 0.27%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Which web browser do you use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Van, I have not used Opera a lot lately as I have been testing Safari 5 for any bugs, but I really do not run into any pages in Safari 5 that will not display. Maybe some bank pages (Different banks than I bank with) might have issues, but I do most everything in Safari 5 and so far no issues.

Last night after some posts here I was on my Intel Mini for hours. You Tube with Flash a Blazin! Not one crash. Safari 5, OSX 10.6.4. If I did that on the Power PC G5 with 10.5.8 I would have had a couple of Flash crashes. Makes me wonder if it's not something with Flash, Safari 5 and 10.5.8 and the Power PC version of it all. I just could not make Safari 5 crash doing heavy flash for hours on my Intel Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I still can't bring myself to using a browser on a regular basis that is both slower as a browser and slower as an application (Firefox takes longer than the others by far to startup for instance). If I remember correctly, the Mozilla team designed Firefox to be an app thats sole purpose was to be lean and quick. I think they need to re-examine the state of Firefox in my opinion.
I know what you are talking about and Firefox's slowness is a sore point. The next major update is suppose to fix the speed issues but I'll believe it when I see it.

I have no loyalties to any browser and is part of the reason why I have most of the major ones installed so that I can try them and see which I like better. I'm still waiting for the one browser that will have all that I want.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Van, I have not used Opera a lot lately as I have been testing Safari 5 for any bugs, but I really do not run into any pages in Safari 5 that will not display. Maybe some bank pages (Different banks than I bank with) might have issues, but I do most everything in Safari 5 and so far no issues.
I'm with you on that one . The alternative browsers, especially the WebKit based ones, have come a long way. I have to give credit to their development group. It's funny that you mention the bank issue though as that seems to be the most problematic for most people when they encounter browser issues. I've never had that problem myself but from the sounds of it, you're far from the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I know what you are talking about and Firefox's slowness is a sore point. The next major update is suppose to fix the speed issues but I'll believe it when I see it.
I've been running the Minefield (Firefox nightlies) builds at work and although they are better, they still lag behind the others. You can also tell that Mozilla is tailoring their builds to Windows as well. Try running a Minefield nightly is OS X and then one on Windows 7 and you'll see what I mean.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
You can make Firefox look like anything you want. >_>"
I shouldn't have to do that, Firefox should make an effort to make an app that looks like it actually belongs on a Mac.

As an aside, can you please resize your images before posting huge screenshots? It ruins the entire layout

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech1 View Post
When I first began using Macs, FireFox was my browser of choice. Several months back I began using Safari and liked it even though it was noticeably slower than FF. It worked well with MobileMe keeping my bookmarks synced between Macs. But since I refused to renew my MobileMe subscription for a 100, I went in search of options and found Chrome to be a nice alternative to Safari. For the last few weeks I have been using Chrome and like the interface. The only issue I have had with Chrome is that Netflix will not work with Chrome. I may be able to find an extension for that though.
If you need bookmark syncing (even between browsers), you should check out
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
If you need bookmark syncing (even between browsers), you should check out
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search
I have that installed on my MacBook and Mini. Did not work that well for me. It may have been operator error though.

Chrome seems to be working great.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech1 View Post
I have that installed on my MacBook and Mini. Did not work that well for me. It may have been operator error though.

Chrome seems to be working great.
Weird, I use it to keep my bookmarks in sync between Chrome, Safari (so it syncs to mobile Safari), and Firefox on my Macbook Pro, and Safari, Chrome, and IE on my Windows VM. It all works great.

Maybe you had an older version that was buggy?

QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

I has been on there for a while. Never worked right so I stopped trying to use it. It is probably an old version. Maybe I will try to update it and see how it works now.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I shouldn't have to do that, Firefox should make an effort to make an app that looks like it actually belongs on a Mac.
That's one of my major complaints with Firefox. The fact that I have to install the GrApple theme doesn't exactly make me feel like Firefox is treated as a proper Mac app. Windows and GTK environments on the other hand are home to an implementation of Firefox that looks great and actually looks like a regular and native app (or, at the very least, more so than it does on the Mac).

Opera used to be even worse than Firefox pre-10.5 but that has changed with their move to Cocoa.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
KSon09

KSon09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac C2D, iMac G3, iMac G5, eMac, Powerbook G4, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G

I can't live without Firefox. Although Camino comes in at a close second, Safari a tight third.

I love my
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Ciwan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard

FireFox and None Other.

Many reasons really, but the biggest one would be FireBug I do a bit of web development, and there is nothing out there that compares to Firebug.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Firefox 4.0 beta 1 was recently released. I've been running the Minefield nightlies at work for a while so FF4b1 wasn't much of an upgrade. Verdict: nothing special. All I really notice so far is the new interface which does nothing but mask the problems Mozilla has with OS integration. On top of that, it still can't pass Acid3 and it gets beaten quite easily on SunSpider:

Opera 10.6: 300.1ms +/- 0.5%
Safari 5: 375.0ms +/- 1.2%
Chrome 5: 349.7ms +/- 1.2%
Firefox 4.0 beta 1: 649.8 +/- 3.5%

(Machine was running Windows 7, 2.50Ghz, 3.5GB RAM)

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

I was using Firefox and loved it when I started using my iMac but a month or so ago Firefox became real slow it wasn't funny so I switched over to Chrome and it;s way faster than Firefox. I tried Opera too but it was a little slower.

Firefox is still my default browser but I use Chrome most of the time. I have 1Password on Firefox so not sure if that works on Chrome yet, I haven't worked out how to install it if it can.
QUOTE Thanks
Cody

Cody is on a distinguished road

Chrome:
Fast and lightweight. I love the search engine integration to the adress bar and the clean UI.
QUOTE Thanks
Xhius

Xhius is on a distinguished road

definitely safari coz it has been installed.
and i ve tried chorme which, i think, is pretty good as its convenience and amazing speed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What happened to the File-Managementsystems like MacJournal, Yojimbo, Together...? | Audiobooks tracks in iTunes 12 do not seem to be of "the same kind of media" »