View Poll Results: Which web browser do you mainly use?

Voters
772. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safari

339 43.91%
  • Firefox

214 27.72%
  • Chrome

197 25.52%
  • Opera

15 1.94%
  • Camino

5 0.65%
  • Other

2 0.26%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Hmm. I don't use the Beta releases of Chrome, so maybe that's it. It just seems like Chrome launches and loads webpages more quickly; Safari does better with Quicktime though (for obvious reasons).

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    The issue with Safari is the release cycle, especially when compared to Chrome. Chrome generally performs better because there are more frequent updates (every six weeks). Safari 5 for instance, came out, IIRC, one day before the one year anniversary of the Safari 4 release.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    The issue with Safari is the release cycle, especially when compared to Chrome. Chrome generally performs better because there are more frequent updates (every six weeks). Safari 5 for instance, came out, IIRC, one day before the one year anniversary of the Safari 4 release.
    Well that's going on the assumption that frequent updates always equals better and that's not always the case. Especially as Google continues to add bloat features into Chrome it its later releases.

Releasing for the sake of having a quick release cycle isn't really that great. It's not as if you need a 6-week release cycle to make the web work.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Very true. That said, with rapid development of standards, one year between releases is far too long. This is part of the reason that Mozilla is trying to release four major versions of Firefox in 2011 (although, knowing the glacial speed of development at Mozilla, I doubt that).

In my experience, Chrome has always been rock solid, much like Safari. In fact, I run the dev version and can count the number of times it's crashed on one hand. As for the bloat, perhaps that is a subjective comment. I would say that Google is at least adding features to Chrome. I was extremely underwhelmed at the release of Safari 5. This feeling becomes obvious when you remember that Safari Reader was a major feature when, at least for me, it's not really all that useful or impressive. And, on the Safari features page, why is Java support and a downloads window listed? It's not as if that's impressive or unique.

One thing I will give Safari is the impressive PDF support which is far more impressive than Chrome's. That, and web archive support. That's the one feature I really wish Google would implement.

To each their own though. I have nothing against Safari and respect it as a quality browser. It just seems as if everything I want out of a browser is in Chrome.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I guess it's all subjective as to what features you want the browser to have. Personally I don't necessarily expect the features to all be built into the browser, nor do I rally want them in there. I'd rather that they focus on building a rock solid browser to do what it's meant to do which can then be extended with plugins or extensions.

Google was there, but I feel it's started to stray in some of the later builds.

As for releases, it's a little misleading to say Safari didn't have a release between 4.0 and 5.0. Apple does release minor releases for Safari a few times a year. Google may release more often, and they increment the major version number each time, but you can't really call them major releases in the traditional sense.

As for the rapid development of standards, that's not really accurate either. HTML 5 is still not a standard, and no where near being ratified a standard. What does Chrome support that's in actual usage for example that Safari 5 does not? Which website does Chrome work on that Safari doesn't?

Again, rapid iteration in the web browser space, especially on the pace Google has decided to take with Chrome I think is just a long-term invitation for feature creep, bloat, and poor decision making. I've been using Chrome for a long time and I will say I've been noticing a big difference in performance and quality since they moved to the 6 week release cycle.

There has to be a sweet spot between Microsoft's pace and Google's.

Specs:
    I agree with the "basic and add on" approach but the Safari extension ecosystem pales in comparison to the Chrome one (both of which are minuscule compared to the Firefox one). Google has tended to build more into the browser lately but from where I sit, the browser is still fairly nimble especially when compared to the pile of bloat that is Firefox.

Yes, Safari releases minor updates over the course of the development cycle but they are primarily bug fixes. Chrome releases are both bug fixes and feature releases. If some new feature is developed for Safari, you'd have to wait considerably longer to get it compared to a Chrome user.

Yes, the HTML 5 standard is years away from completion but that doesn't mean that developers aren't using it on their page. The very fact that it has entered the lexicon online and so pervasively is evidence enough of the demand for support now. As for an example, I can't provide one not knowing enough about either the standard or what each browser supports. Regardless, the accelerated schedule will ensure that Chrome will likely include support before Safari. This is all speculation though.

Rapid release cycles aren't necessarily indicative of feature creep or bloat. I don't think this is the case with Chrome but again, this is a subjective call. As long as we believe that our respective browsers of choice are both better than Firefox, I'm good.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I As long as we believe that our respective browsers of choice are both better than Firefox, I'm good.
    Heck, I'd almost go so far to say that IE 8 and 9 are better than Firefox at this point.

Specs:
    Macbook 4,1; Snow Leopard
    I recently discovered that Opera is a completely superior browser. I was a loyal Chrome user, but their last update seemed to screw YouTube play up.

I recently switched to FF and so far quite like it. No complaints yet. Was using Safari before that.

Specs:
    Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Heck, I'd almost go so far to say that IE 8 and 9 are better than Firefox at this point.
    HAHAHAHAHA
    why all the hating on firefox? I've been a long time firefox user and while I recently tried opera I couldn't quite get used to it. While FF is far from perfect I definitely would prefer it above chrome. not so sure about safari though.
    I'm just trying out the beta release of FF 4.0 and must say I'm quite pleased honestly.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by applebanana View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    why all the hating on firefox?
    The application itself is terribly slow and bloated, the browser component used to be considerably slower than the other browsers (4.0 seems to have caught up) and it looks terrible. The UI doesn't integrate with OS X at all - take a look at the different ways that it renders a drop down box for instance (compare one from the preferences and one from inside the browser to see what I mean). If you like Firefox, by all means use it. The dislike for Firefox is a personal dislike - it suits the needs of a large portion of internet users.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    The application itself is terribly slow and bloated, the browser component used to be considerably slower than the other browsers (4.0 seems to have caught up) and it looks terrible. The UI doesn't integrate with OS X at all - take a look at the different ways that it renders a drop down box for instance (compare one from the preferences and one from inside the browser to see what I mean). If you like Firefox, by all means use it. The dislike for Firefox is a personal dislike - it suits the needs of a large portion of internet users.
    Bloated is what I always would equate FF to. It just doesn't encompass the true feel of a Mac OS X into its design. The personalization is really nice in FF, the addons, the themes, and the personas. The other thing that bothers me is the personas, they don't look good at all on the mac. But they look a lot better on Windows.

Chunkiness is another one.

Specs:
    I forgot about the personas! I'm with you on that one - they frequently look terrible. To be fair though, I'm not one for skinning my apps.

Firefox continues to be the slowest loading browser and the UI, although it has gotten faster, is still sluggish compared to other browsers especially those that use Cocoa. I'm hoping that there goal of "OSX 10.7 system integration" in their roadmap is met. They're also shooting for "no more than 50ms delay between user action and application reaction" which would be fantastic.

I'll give Mozilla credit for building a browser with a great extension ecosystem. I've read that because of the way the UI is designed and managed, writing extensions for Firefox is not only easier but a developer can access much more of the browser. Personally though, the few extensions I use are available for other browsers.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
    Well I tried what you guys said and gave a run on Safari and I gotta say I'm quite pleased. Having switched from a PC a little less then a year ago now and using FF there, I just figured I would use it on here and didn't give Safari a try. I think I'm pretty well sold already. Thanks guys.

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Quote Originally Posted by applebanana View Post
    Well I tried what you guys said and gave a run on Safari and I gotta say I'm quite pleased. Having switched from a PC a little less then a year ago now and using FF there, I just figured I would use it on here and didn't give Safari a try. I think I'm pretty well sold already. Thanks guys.
    I'll admit, FF is nice on Windows. But it just doesn't make the mark compared to the quality of Safari and Chrome. The last browser I used was Chrome, but I had to switch from it to Safari in the end. I was just having a not so great experience with videos on YouTube on my slow MB. However, Safari handled the videos just fine on the computer. I still like Chrome, but Safari has a better experience all around.

Glad you are happier with Safari though!

Thread Information