New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

what email program to use ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbook Luke

macbook Luke is on a distinguished road

Setting up my new imac and macbook pro

I use 2 yahoo (.co.uk) email address That i would like to keep both of them as they are perfect for me!

Now having visited 2 x Mac shops and done a few hours of internet trawling .....
I am no better of with knowing if i can ever use Mail, Thunderbird or good old Entourage as i use to like that !

I know i could pay for a Yahoo premium service etc or try and use another free software to "fool" yahoo . But i imagine this could lead to a nightmare later?

So what options do i have ??

i want to keep my 2 accounts and maybe add one more . Not have to mess around to much etc !

Thanks

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

There's a never-ending debate about which email application to use. The consensus seems to be a choice between Mail and Thunderbird. Both will do what you want.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Only you can make that decision. Try both and decide for yourself. One is free (Thunderbird) and one comes with your Mac (Mail). As for Entourage, there seems to be a general consensus that it is terrible but if you have Office, you could give it a try.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

i used MS Outlook for almost my entire PC "carriere", switched to Mac and got used to Mail.app (that comes with Mac OS X)... installed MS Office for Mac and opened Entourage just to see, and did not like it that much, it's still on my MacBook but got so accustomed to Mail.app that i do not see myself switch..

as the others suggested, try and see what suits you best.

and welcome aboard.

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree. Both Outlook and Entourage are really Personal Information Manager type programs (PIM) that just happen to also do mail. For most folks they're overkill. Mac Mail is simple and easy to use. Likewise as has been suggested, Thunderbird works well. (and is free)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use Mail or alot of times I even use webmail since my accounts tend to be Gmail-based. I also have my school account which is Exchange and works well with Mail.

I may however give the new Outlook a try when Office 2010 Mac comes out later this year.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
macbook Luke

Ok !

This is what i managed to find out.

My main issue was not wanting to use any other software to get my Yahoo accounts to work with "mail" etc .

I downloaded "Thunderbird" which as mentioned is a lovely format etc to work with . But it still would not work.....

I dived into the Yahoo settings and found a 'Turn POP roaming " or words to that effect ,On . This allows m,y Pop settings to be sent to other email programs !!!!!!

why on earth did this not show up on a google search i do not know !!!!

So....I now have a fully working "mail" as i wanted with my 2 accounts listed for ease of use.

Must admit, Thunderbird looks tasty ! But i love to keep things simple

Thanks

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
macbook Luke

yet another issue !!

Ok. It works on my Mail version 3.6. yet if i try it on my macbook pro which is version 4.3 it does not work ????

could the different versions cause a issue >

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you get some sort of error message? Did you double check your configuration settings (specifically your server settings and password)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macbook Luke

After turning on the "Pop Roaming" bit on yahoo. My imac just loaded my name, email and password and did the rest ! This was for both accounts.

Now my macbook uses Mail version 4.3 and has a different set up routine . I would have thought it would just need the same info?

I am not using a home server etc

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

drflip is on a distinguished road

I've had a new MacBook for tree months. Gmail works just fine, but there's constant trouble with the Outlook-account I transferred. Sometimes I can't receive any ail, the next time I cannot send and once it seems to work I have to start all over again when I change places between home and office. It drives me totally mad.
Apart from that I am really used to organizing my mail into folders which seem impossible in mail. I do WORK with my mail, these programs seem designed for play. That drives me up the wall too. Now effing use my old pc to keep my mails organized and to be able to send and receive them once in a while. really disappointed in Mac here!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Database app similar to Microsoft Access? | Which web browser do you use? »