TitaniumDreads
    Wrong Product key for Office
    Oops. My friend and I bought an educational version of microsoft office with three licenses and corrosponding product keys.

I accidently entered the same key that my friend did and now we can't use the program at the same time (from different computers!)

I tried uninstall -> reinstall for office but when I went to reinstall it didn't ask for a new product key. It seems to have saved it and won't let me enter a new one, what do I do? Is it possible to delete the old key?

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Well what you and your friend did by sharing the licenses is illegal (Unless you live in the same house or apartment) and I don't think there is anyway to remove the key
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Also what you have is one license that can be copied to three machines, but can only used one at a time. Meaning that if you are using it, your friend can not use it until you are finished.

Like it was stated better you are now in that gray area. The only was all of you can use the software is when you are not on the network. If you are on a stand alone system you will be able to use it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
    I have ms office education for both mac and pc. It is for three computers that are in the same residence. Every time I have reinstalled it, it has asked for the key. (both mac and pc, I know this because I did a clean instal this week.) You should be able to do a clean install on both computers and it will ask for the key. As for legal, as long as one of you is a student, I believe that it is legal. I don't think they state that the licenses have to be used by the same person, just the same household. (I could be wrong.)

Bone

Specs:
    Yes it is same household....but he said his friend bought it

Specs:
    iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
    Roommates possibly?

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
    "My friend and I bought an educational version of microsoft office" is what he said. There is probably some file on your comp that is like a cookie but for a program, if you can find it and delete it you should be ok. You said you bought a version with 3 cd keys, I would just use the other cd key.

menace3054
    i have the ms office thing with 3 keys as well, i have it installed on my powermac and imac and im pretty sure that i used the same key by accident, without a problem. uninstall it, and delete all library files assosciated with it and maybe itll work, otherwise you might have to reformat

fco1922
    Wrong key
    Yes, a clean install should do it.

One piece of advice: don't say things like "my friend and I bought..." and then talk about sharing keys or copying software. This is particularly true of Microsoft software. It is just asking for trouble and who needs that...

Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    i have the ms office thing with 3 keys as well, i have it installed on my powermac and imac and im pretty sure that i used the same key by accident, without a problem. uninstall it, and delete all library files assosciated with it and maybe itll work, otherwise you might have to reformat

fco1922
    Wrong key
    For what it is worth, the educational version of MS Office is so cheap ($85) that why go to all the hassle? Just buy your own copy. Even someone on the tightest budget can spare $85, especially when you have spent thousands already on tuition, room and board. If all else fails, ask your university for a small loan or spring for a credit card. No one likes paying Microsoft but you've got to weigh up the costs, benefits, aggravation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumDreads
    Oops. My friend and I bought an educational version of microsoft office with three licenses and corrosponding product keys.

I accidently entered the same key that my friend did and now we can't use the program at the same time (from different computers!)

I tried uninstall -> reinstall for office but when I went to reinstall it didn't ask for a new product key. It seems to have saved it and won't let me enter a new one, what do I do? Is it possible to delete the old key?

TitaniumDreads
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    Well what you and your friend did by sharing the licenses is illegal (Unless you live in the same house or apartment) and I don't think there is anyway to remove the key
    With all due respect, it looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

I went to users -> [username] -> library -> preferences and hucked com.microsoft.office.plist in the trash. On reinstall I was able to enter a new (legit) key.

menace3054, thanks for the advice.

However sometimes cookie-type files like this are stored in other places. You can kill them by doing a search for anything installed at the same time as the program before going for a full on reformat.

also
    For what it is worth, the educational version of MS Office is so cheap ($85) that why go to all the hassle? Just buy your own copy. Even someone on the tightest budget can spare $85
    You're either being sarcastic, have a poor understanding of budgeting or are totally out of touch with reality. Why not try visiting a third world country and/or a college campus?

Specs:
    If you are talking about removing the key, I said I didn't think you could remove the key, and I was wrong. I didn't think that just removing the plist files would allow you to re-enter keys

If you are talking about the legality of sharing keys then I know exactly what I am talking about

Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.11 --- 21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 8
    IF you have a legal, PAID for key and copy: look for an invisible file named officePID in the MS folder. Delete this. Will ask for the key next time you start it.

Mods: delete post if uncomfortable with legality of information.
    Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!
    -Lazarus Long

fco1922
    Not out of touch
    I was only being partially sarcastic. Stealing is still stealing and I don't care if you are on a college campus or a "third world" country (and I suspect you aren't because their residents would object to being called third world). Using your logic, we should all steal DVDs since they are expensive too...

I went to users -> [username] -> library -> preferences and hucked com.microsoft.office.plist in the trash. On reinstall I was able to enter a new (legit) key.

menace3054, thanks for the advice.

However sometimes cookie-type files like this are stored in other places. You can kill them by doing a search for anything installed at the same time as the program before going for a full on reformat.

also

You're either being sarcastic, have a poor understanding of budgeting or are totally out of touch with reality. Why not try visiting a third world country and/or a college campus?

Thread Information