New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Removing iUserbar?!?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MasterUnholy

MasterUnholy is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine used my MacBook yesterday and when he was done, Safari suddenly had this thing called iUserbar installed into it. I deleted it from my applications menu (and then from recycling) and can't seem to find any other parts of it located anywhere else on my Mac, but it still pops up whenever I open Safari.

I've also completely removed Safari and reinstalled it - which didn't fix the problem, either.

I'm afraid this thing is doing harm to my Mac and/or gathering private information.

Can somebody PLEASE aid me on its removal? Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A little nasty installed by the Spirit jailbreak or more probably a site faking the real developers site.

Have you quit and re-opened Safari or rebooted the machine since you deleted it?

Check in your user folder under Library / Application Support and also Library / Safari

From now on, make anyone using your computer do so in the Guest account, not your user account.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MasterUnholy

I have reinstalled Safar and restarted it many times, yes. I've also restarted my Macbook twice.

I discovered in Application Support there is a folder called CONDUIT, which is where this toolbar stems from. However, I continue to put it in the recycling bin, empty bin, but it keeps coming back whenever I open or close Safari (depending on whether or not Safari is open when I delete it). Been doing this process over and over and I can't figure out where the rest of it is.

I checked in Safari's folder in Library, but can't seem to see anything out of place. Can anybody tell me the list of what belongs in there, that way I can see if I've got something extra?

Thanks for the response, Bob.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Also check these folders in that same location.
Preference Panes
Preferences
Internet Plug-ins
LaunchAgents

my Safari folder looks like this:

QUOTE Thanks
MasterUnholy

Thanks. Checked all of those and didn't see anything unusual.

I even went as far as deleting the Conduit folder, then uninstalling Safari, then double-checking to make sure Conduit was still gone before reinstalling Safari - and BAM, Conduit/iUserbar still came back.

I'm hoping somebody on here has had this problem before and can give me their exact remedy!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Have clicked on the Help menu in Safari and selected Installed Plug-ins?

Also checked Mac...HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins - could be there if it was installed for 'all' users.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Not sure if this will help in this case of not but how about deleting the safari plist file?

com.apple.Safari.plist

It's located in Users/Username(yourusername)/Library/Preferences.

Maybe it's launching it from there.

Edit: Found this. See if this does it for you. Let us know.

To manually uninstall the toolbar from Safari on Mac:
Run /Applications/Toolbars/<Toolbar name>/Uninstall.app
In case the application fails you need to delete the followings:
/Library/Application Support/Conduit
/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
/Library/Receipts/ctloader.pkg
/Library/Receipts/<Toolbar name>.pkg
/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/CT2285220.bundle
/Users/<User name>/Library/Application Supports/Conduit
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Well, I just went and found it and installed it.

click the down arrow at the left hand side of the toolbar
select 'Toolbar Options' from the list
go to the 'Additional Settings' tab in the popup window
click on the 'Uninstall Toolbar' button
click 'Yes'

Gone...

QUOTE Thanks
MasterUnholy

dtravis7, thanks for attempting to help but I decided to give Bob's solution a shot first and it worked.

Bob, thanks a lot! That was real dumb of me. I just closed out/deleted the toolbar before, so just the yellow bell thing would be displayed every time Safari started. In order to attempt your solution I had to re-download iUserbar so I had the toolbar itself back. Your solution worked in a second. It's hard to believe somebody would make it so easy to get rid of a toolbar but they did and my Safari is back to normal.

Thanks for all the assistance!!!
QUOTE Thanks
leelavell72

leelavell72 is on a distinguished road

i dont have a mac, nor do i use safari. but i got iuserbar stuck on my google chrome. can anyone help me remove it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

leelavell72: try reading post #8 in this thread.

MasterUnholy: the advice about NEVER letting anyone else use your account bears repeating, especially if they're going to do something that dumb. This is exactly what the guest account option is for.
QUOTE Thanks
leelavell72

ummmmmm......yeah google chrome doesn't give you those options. so that didn't help at all. otherwise i wouldn't have asked.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ummmm ... Bob's post (#8) didn't mention a browser at all. He was talking about the tools within the iUserbar itself.

Since iUserbar doesn't actually care what browser its being installed onto, it should look exactly the same for all browsers.

Maybe a screenshot would help us help you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

With extensions being used now in several of the browsers, and in Chrome in particular (Safari is probably similar), extensions will be removed in the extensions window.

On the Menu, head for Window - Extensions.
On the extension you want to remove, click Uninstall - twice.

QUOTE Thanks
leelavell72

i've attached the picture of the toolbar options box that it gave me. see no option to uninstall. bob if you could tell me how to get to the window-extensions that might help me out quite a bit. thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png iuserbar.png (23.8 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't import .mpg or .avi files into iMovie | World of Goo game problem »