New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word processing... Word? Did it come with anything?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michalik.piotr

michalik.piotr is an unknown at this point

Quick dumb question... I need to write a new resume from scratch and am wondering if my new macbook pro came with any software to do that with? Also, obviously I would need this to be in a word or pdf format so people on PC's can read it. Thank you.... Oh, if it didn't come with any software like that, what and where should i get??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You could get:

- iWork" suite of programs from Apple
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office for the Mac

These all cost money. Here's a few free programs to try:

http://www.openoffice.org/
http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html
http://www.abisource.com/download/

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
michalik.piotr

thank you, whats their rating best to worst and why? also price of each? thanks. suggested retailers? i know.... i ask for a lot.... TIA
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalik.piotr View Post
thank you, whats their rating best to worst and why? also price of each? thanks. suggested retailers? i know.... i ask for a lot.... TIA
I edited my post...adding some free programs as well.

As far as cost for the purchasable programs...why not go to each website & check on your own??? Or go to your favorite online retailers...and check their prices?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
michalik.piotr

Nick, but then that would mean I'd have to do WORK instead of having everything handed to me while I sit here with my thumb up my bum.

Thank you and thank you for the free links. Ok, how bout this.... which one of the free links do you recommend (you know, I don't want to download and try all of them).
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Like Windows with its Notepad, Macs do come with a free basic text writing program. It's called TextEdit and can be found in your Applications folder. It is a basic word processing program but it does allow you to choose between plain text and rich text formatting and if you didn't already know Macs have PDF creation function built into the OS.

This means that just about any program can save as a PDF. If you want to do some more advance word processing then you will need to try out some of the programs Nick has listed. If you are looking for something similar to the feel of Microsoft Office then you should try out OpenOffice. OpenOffice can also save in Word .doc format also.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalik.piotr View Post
Nick, but then that would mean I'd have to do WORK instead of having everything handed to me while I sit here with my thumb up my bum.

Thank you and thank you for the free links. Ok, how bout this.... which one of the free links do you recommend (you know, I don't want to download and try all of them).
Yes you got what I was suggesting. At some point it will help you decide what you want...if you do a little of the research yourself.

As far as price...I'm in the United States (I'm not sure if you are)...so prices will be different if you are outside the US.

As far as which program. I've always used MS Office (MS Word). Some folks like iWork (less expensive than MS Office, unless you get a special deal on MS Office). I haven't used any of the free programs...so you might want to download them...or visit each website to see if they will meet your needs.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
skiltrip

skiltrip is on a distinguished road

Since I got my MBP a few months back, I've been using OpenOffice.org at my Office Suite on this computer and I love it. I frequently store .doc's on Dropbox and open then in Word on Windows and OpenOffice on the Mac, and it works perfectly. No problems. And its free. I actually like OpenOffice a lot better than MS Office in a lot of ways. But seriously, what I love most about it is the price.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I have both Office and iWork and generally I prefer Office. Pages just isn't there yet, byt Keynote is better than PowerPoint.

Numbers just isn't compatible enough with Excel for my needs at this point.

I've always found the free apps to be fugly and if I wanted that I'd be using Windows or Linux.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I've always found the free apps to be fugly and if I wanted that I'd be using Windows or Linux.
I agree when it comes to OpenOffice but it's free so it doesn't matter to me much. You do get what you pay for but NeoOffice is a better looking version of OpenOffice. It's not exactly the best looking either but it looks better than OpenOffice if a person cares about that sort of stuff.

I've just gotten used to using NeoOffice because it was better than OpenOffice on the Mac back in the beginning and I continue to use it over OpenOffice because it works for me so I don't have much reason to switch to OpenOffice. Their files are interchangeable so it's easy to go back and forth between the two. I do have both installed though.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you want the best go with Office 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Or if you can wait a few months Office 2010 Mac is coming out later this year. It's looking pretty nice from what I've seen so far.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

SleeperSS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5

Office: Mac 2008 has resume templates in the Microsoft Project Gallery.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I prefer iWork to the other office suites. It really comes down to personal preference, but I would look into MS Office or iWork for paid suites and Open Office for a free program.

I got iWork for 29 bucks which is very reasonable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to burn multiple-source VOBs onto a playable DVD? | New App for OSX 10.6: Airport Location - settings profiles based on physical location »