New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help! Safari 5 and pdf issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ic_guerrero

ic_guerrero is on a distinguished road

I currently have a MacBook that is running Safari 5 and the newest version of the adobe reader and every time that I try to open a pdf, thru safari, that has been saved to my hard drive I get the following message:

Please wait...
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.
You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions.
For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/support/products/ acrreader.html.
Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Does anybody know of a solution? The pdf is my tax info and it needs to be opened thru a web browser so that I can e-file it. Thank you for your time.

R.

Marco
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Safari can open a PDF by using Preview. Adobe is not needed. You stated that the PDF is saved on your hard drive... that's all the more reason not to use Adobe. Preview will open PDFs by default.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ic_guerrero

ic_guerrero is on a distinguished road

Even if I open the pdf thru preview, I still get the same message. I have to open it w/ Safari so that I can e-file the document. Thank you for your reply.

R.

Marco
QUOTE Thanks
CLS9

CLS9 is on a distinguished road

I’m having the same problem. I need to download a PDF from the IRS website. Preview will not suffice for this.

I have updated all my browser plug-ins and trashed Safari 5 prefs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Passport photo | question about Parallels 5 on a Mac »