New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari 5 - disable search suggestions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marino

Marino is on a distinguished road

Back in the days of Safari 3 and the beta version of Safari 4, it was possible to disable the search suggestions in the google search bar -- quite handy when using inquisitor. Does anybody know whether Safari 5 reintroduces this option?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, but if you install the "Glims" plugin, it has that option. Glims is free.

BTW, development and updates for "inquisitor" have apparently ceased. It's too bad because it was one of my favorite plugins for Safari.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Marino

I know, about Inquisitor. It's a shame, but the old version still works and I've just been able to install the latest version on a Snow Leopard 10.6.3/Safari 5 install. About Glims, I wonder how they do that. I'm not so happy with installing another input manager (seeing as how I'm using Saft already), so that makes me wonder whether it's possible to retrieve and use the piece of code Glims uses to do that. Any ideas? Is Glims FOSS?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How did you install Inquisitor in Safari 5? It wouldn't even install in Safari 4, let alone 5. Unless you did some work arounds - it's not compatible. That's why I'm using Glims.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Marino

I've had trouble with installing Inquisitor myself, and happened to stumble upon a way to do it by accident. Thing is, it never stopped working on my older system, even though I kept updating it, so that I had Inquisitor running on 10.6.3 with Safari 4 and later 5. On the freshly installed system, you're right, a regular install doesn't work. Here's the workaround I used:

1) Get a system with a working Inquisitor install (Computer A)
2) Download Inquisitor to the computer where you want to install Inquisitor (Computer B).
3) Copy folder /Library/InputManagers/Inquisitor from Computer A to Computer B
4) Run the standard Inquisitor install procedure on Computer B

I have no idea why this worked for me, because running the install changed the time stamp on the files in /Library/InputManagers/Inquisitor. Also, I can't guarantee that it'll work for everyone. I am interested in your experiences, though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lmgtfy no longer works with Safari 5 | iDVD NOT LAUNCHING »