New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help installing Safari 5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chewitt

Chewitt is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help me out. im having real trouble installing safari 5. i cant get past the following step

I have also tried using software update but it says there are no available updates

my current set up is macbook 13" white - 1.83ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram and osx 10.6.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chewitt
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd probably start by downloading the 10.6.3 combo update and running that again.

You can grab it here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

Thanks for your quick reply

ok so i tried to install the update and got another error

Do you think i should maybe re-install my os x disk and try software update after this? or is there a less extreme solution i could try first
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

8.3% free space
Some say that's not enough.
QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
8.3% free space
Even if it wasn't enough, surely the update would still show up in software update
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
8.3% free space
I would be one of those. With that amount of free space, it's entirely possible there is not enough free contiguous space for the combo update to be installed.
If you're not already experiencing slow downs, spinning beach balls and other things, they are on their way.

I'd also open up About This Mac and verify you are already running 10.6.3.

QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

Double checked but yes i am running 10.6.3

ill free up some space and try installing the combo update again but im pretty sure this is already installed on my system
QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

free'd up 14.2gb of space and am still getting the same problem as above.

any other suggestions guys?
QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

ok so it looks like osx has corupted somewhere on my disk. After cleaning up some space on my hard drive a gave my mac a restart and it failed to boot up. i just got a no entry sign instead of an apple when starting up. im currently re-installing osx then plan to start software update when it has installed.

ill post the results when im finished

thanks for eveyones help today
QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

Ok guys so i reinstalled snow leopard and used software update and now safari 5 is installed and my system is running alot smother since the reinstall

thanks to everyone that posted
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That's a drag you had to go that far. I will recommend though - keep at least 15% free space, 20 if you can. As cheap as drives are and with only a 60GB drive, you might want to consider an upgrade in there also.

QUOTE Thanks
Chewitt

Yeah the crazy thing is that all my music, videos, application installers, samples, loops ect are all stored on my external 1tb drive. my internal hard drive is nearly full with just applications. i really should think about upgrading the internal drive, thanks for the advise
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage recovery | Keynote Slideshow Preview Problem »