New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Entourage- files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drmajor

drmajor is on a distinguished road

I just did a MS Office update. Using 2008.
When done, my Entourage no longer has any contacts, e-mails, calendar and etc. This was a large update. Was using Office 2008 already.

I tried to restore OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. Either it didn't work or I didn't do it right.

Where are the Entourage files stored?
How can I import them into the updated version?

Best solution?????
Since I use this for business, I need to get things back to "normal" ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
AdamMay

AdamMay is on a distinguished road

Have you checked

Documents > Microsoft User Data > Office 2008 Identies?

This is where it stores your database and it should have it there

Let me know

p.s - i hate entourage, i think i am in the same situation as you, i use it for work and with so many emails it is slow and it drives me mad. I recently posted a topic asking for advise if i should use Mail instead as it seems a lighter, faster program
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Close Entourage. Hold down the Option Key while reopening Entourage. You should get an option to Rebuild Database. If you select 'verify' before selecting 'rebuild', you'll be able to see if a problem was found. If you select 'rebuild' right away, it will do it's job, but won't tell you if a problem was found.

Let us know if this helps...
QUOTE Thanks
drmajor

I did the Verify/Rebuild.

I got another Identity, but still all my contacts, calendars, and e-mails are missing.

I went into Time Machine and did a restore from the USERS - OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. NO luck..

I think it interesting, that Micro Soft makes such a poor running product. Some say it is to sabotage the MAC. You would think they would make it the best thing ever to encourage people into the MS arena. It faithfully crashes 3-4 times a day.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

Time Machine and Entourage do not play together well. MS has promised to address this with Office 2010 (or maybe 2011) for Mac. In MS defense, Entourage came out before Time Machine, so they had no way of foreseeing a compatibility problem. (And for the inevitable MS basher who points to the ridiculous way MS chose to store the Entourage data, I would point to Apple's iPhoto Library, which is as equally ridiculous--but that's way off subject.)

Unfortunately, Time Machine may have copied over the Identity you were using with a copy with the TM copy, which may have issues. But it's not definite that the TM copy was bad--that's just a worst case scenario.

In Finder, go to Documents > Microsoft User Data, Office 2008 Identities. Tell us what Folders are contained inside. There should be a Main Identity, and also a copy with a date & time matching the time you performed the Verify/Rebuild. Any other folders?
QUOTE Thanks
drmajor

It seems I have many Identities----
MAIN IDENTITY
MAIN IDENTITY BACKED UP 2010-06-06 time [ 4 of these]
MAIN IDENTITY 1
NEWSGROUP CACHE
OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES
OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES BACKED UP

In the Office 2008 Identities there is:
DATABASE
MAILING LIST
RULES
SIGNATURES
SUMMARY.PLIST
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

I found this article. Find solutions for crashes, conflicts and general problems with Entourage Number 15, midway down the page, has a paragraph entitled 'Identity disappeared from hard drive'. It suggests a problem with AV software I wouldn't have thought of.

Still thinking about the OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES & OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES BACKED UP folders... No idea what they are. I also just updated to Entourage 12.2.5 and I don't have them in my Identity folder. It's odd that your would have a folder called Office 2008 Identities inside a folder called Office 2008 Identities.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Lan Party Game | Should i switch from Entourage 2008 to Mail »