New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac vs. iWork '09?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ipodmacfan

ipodmacfan is on a distinguished road

I normally do most of my presentation, spreadsheet and word processor work on my Windows PCs, but I'm starting to feel the need to do this sort of work on my MacBook as well.

From what I've heard, it's: Excel >>> Numbers, Pages > Word and Keynote >>> Powerpoint. Now, I'm not planning on buying both office suites, until if sometime in the future I feel the need to. I want something that'll be generally compatible with Windows, that'll run smoothly and that'll be rich in features.

Currently Own: iPhone 4 16GB/iPod Nano 5G 16GB/Macbook Pro 2010 13"/iPad 64GB 3G
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have both Office 2008 and iWork. I actually like both applications but lean to using Word for documents and Pages for layout work. But that is not what you really need to hear...

Why not download and install the free Open Office from Sun? It has very good compatibility with Office - opens and saves Office documents, easy to use, and it's free. Download from here.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just a note that a lot of people find Keynote much nicer for presentations than PowerPoint. It's a very nice application for that usage.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

More food for thought: You can get Office for Mac with more than one license. So if you think you'll end up installing it on more than one Mac, that might be a consideration. (You'll get either 2 or 3, depending on which edition you buy.) You'd have to buy two copies of iWork to legally install it on more than one Mac. (There might be a way around that, if it's never used on two at the same time. ?) So, this is a cost consideration that you might want to compare.

Also, MS is said to be releasing Office 2011 later this year. I don't know if there will be an economical way to upgrade if you buy 2008 now.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodmacfan View Post
I normally do most of my presentation, spreadsheet and word processor work on my Windows PCs, but I'm starting to feel the need to do this sort of work on my MacBook as well.
The "as well" part strongly suggests MS Office. While you can import and export Office documents into the iWork applications, it is not always a perfect translation, and it adds an extra step each time.
QUOTE Thanks
ipodmacfan

ipodmacfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have both Office 2008 and iWork. I actually like both applications but lean to using Word for documents and Pages for layout work. But that is not what you really need to hear...

Why not download and install the free Open Office from Sun? It has very good compatibility with Office - opens and saves Office documents, easy to use, and it's free. Download from here.

Regards.
Awesome link, I didn't know Open Office was on Mac too (I use it on my Linux systems a lot!). Although in my opinion I prefer MS Office by far (I'm talking about the Windows version, not Mac, as I haven't used Mac.)

I read all the responses...
dtravis7: Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about Keynote, that's probably why I'm leaning towards iWork right now.
toMACsh: Hmm...2011 will surely be better than 2008. That's got me thinking...I could get iWork now, and then get MS Office 2011 when that comes out, so I can get the best of both worlds.
Technologist: I won't really be exporting/importing much. I'm planning on just printing most of my work straight from the Mac...

Currently Own: iPhone 4 16GB/iPod Nano 5G 16GB/Macbook Pro 2010 13"/iPad 64GB 3G
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodmacfan View Post
2011 will surely be better than 2008. ...I could get iWork now, and then get MS Office 2011 when that comes out, so I can get the best of both worlds.
Sure, if your budget can handle that. But you really don't need both.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some songs transferring to iPod but not playing | Help me run TF2 ? (MACBOOK PRO) »