New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Transferring mailboxes from one mac to another

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom_p

tom_p is on a distinguished road

I was just helping someone out yesterday who purchased a new macbook pro. He had mail on his older macbook and wanted all of his mailboxes transferred to his new macbook. Note he did not want the account settings just the local mailboxes. He had started up a new account on the new one.

Anyway, he had about 20 mailboxes on his old one and I simply copied them from the /Users/username/Library/Mailboxes/ folder on the old one to the new macbook pro.

I opened up Mail on the new Mac and there were all of his mailboxes I had just transferred over.

I get a call from him today saying that while the boxes are there, there is no mail inside the boxes. He checked the sizes of the mailboxes in the Library/Mai/Mailboxes and they were correct - some over 2GB.

Is there something I missed or did wrong?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Did you also copy all the *.mbox folders and info that they contain which are listed under his account?

For example: I have a mailbox that I call "Archived" here is how it's listed =

/Users/my user name/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/archived.mbox/

There are also sub-folders below each *.mbox folder that can contain attachments and messages. All would have to be copied exactly as they were on his old machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
tom_p

tom_p is on a distinguished road

Yes, copied the entire contents of .mbx folders over to the new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Will the Export feature in Mail and then the using the Import feature on the new computer solve the problem of copying the Mail Contents.
It seems to me that would be easier to do.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
sjh

sjh is on a distinguished road

I have exactly the same problem. I want to add my macbook pro mailboxes to my imac, without replacing the mailboxes already on my imac mail system. the folders were added, but I can't see the emails in them through mail (although i can see them in finder, so they are definitely there on my imac)...any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
RACER83

RACER83 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I just joined but I had this problem a few months ago and I had to use a program to convert .emix to .mbox

It was available on cnet website.

emlx to mbox Converter for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hope it helps you.
QUOTE Thanks
sjh

sjh is on a distinguished road

All I needed to do was to select the newly copied mailboxes in MacMail and then select Mailboxes/Repair in the drop down menu. All the messages then appeared!
QUOTE Thanks
jmwhite5

jmwhite5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh View Post
All I needed to do was to select the newly copied mailboxes in MacMail and then select Mailboxes/Repair in the drop down menu. All the messages then appeared!
Thanks, that procedure worked for me too. On 10.6.8, the menu item is Mailbox -> Rebuild
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printing Excel Doc MS Office X for Mac | Macbook pro gaming slowing down »