Unhappy Mac facebok virus
    Somehow facebook posted a link on about 15 of my friends walls saying that I was making a ton of money with some stupid bs scam site. I did not do this. My computer or facebook posted these wall posts around an hour before I woke up for work this morning. I haven't logged onto facebook from any computer besides my macbook pro in months and this wasn't one of my friends playing a joke on me because one of the 15 people targeted in this spam wall posting was a classmate who passed away a little over a year ago. Also, I always log out and don't save my passwords. I was under the impression when I finally made the switch to Mac 2 years ago that this kind of thing could never happen. Well it does happen and it happened to me. I haven't installed any new software recently and I really just don't understand 1 how this happened; 2 how I can fix it; and 3 how can I prevent it from happening again. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Ahh well you use facebook be prepared for this crap!

Specs:
    Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
    Not a virus, a hacker, as posted above, you gonna use facebook, then you gotta be prepared for this kinda stuff, I'd just say change your password to something harder.
    -Dylan

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    To the OP:

Whenever you use a social network, FaceBook, or any other, be prepared to take extraordinary precaution with your personal info. It doesn't matter which platform you use to access Facebook if a hacker or jokester is on to you.
    So don't blame it on the Mac.

In the meantime, make sure you report the security breach to the Facebook admins and change your log in and password.

Regards.

Specs:
    2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
    This happened to a friend of mine on Facebook. A spam message was posted from "him" on a bunch of people's walls, including many people he doesn't really talk to (me). I also know for a fact that he uses an Alienware PC.

Has nothing to do with what kind of computer you use or the operating system. This just sounds like a hacker on Facebook. Like said, try to contact some admins and change your password.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by prusthegoose View Post
    Somehow facebook posted a link on about 15 of my friends walls saying that I was making a ton of money with some stupid bs scam site. I did not do this. My computer or facebook posted these wall posts around an hour before I woke up for work this morning. I haven't logged onto facebook from any computer besides my macbook pro in months and this wasn't one of my friends playing a joke on me because one of the 15 people targeted in this spam wall posting was a classmate who passed away a little over a year ago. Also, I always log out and don't save my passwords. I was under the impression when I finally made the switch to Mac 2 years ago that this kind of thing could never happen. Well it does happen and it happened to me. I haven't installed any new software recently and I really just don't understand 1 how this happened; 2 how I can fix it; and 3 how can I prevent it from happening again. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated
    As has been noted by the other posters, this is exceedingly common with Facebook, and it really doesn't matter what client operating system you're using to connect to it.

All of these Facebook apps like Farmville, Mafia Wars, the surveys you take (like "What Beatle would you be?") are AJAX apps which are executable and universal in nature. A malicious one can cause the kind of behavior you've experienced and it's not a virus in the traditional manner. This is why Facebook warns you before you install these kinds of apps.

I would recommend removing any apps you might have installed in Facebook that you don't trust or don't use. Additionally, make sure you are using a STRONG password. Brute force password hacking attempts are very common with Facebook hackers/scammers.

A strong password is one that does not contain any part of your name, is at least 8 characters long and has at least one change of case, one number, and one special character.

A good example would be something like:

FBsecurityReallySucks!!010
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information