New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

switcher getting started customization questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

prazim

prazim is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I’m hoping you can help with these migration issues. I’m using a macbook pro:
1. how does one change the sound for various functions, such as emptying trash, sent mail, etc.? If an additional software tool is needed, which one is best?
2. if one uses animated mouse pointers in windows, can those also be used in Mac apps? Is there a program that needs to be installed for them to work?
3. is there an app which allows one to control the bass and treble on the mac book pro, outside of itunes?
4. in windows, it is necessary to clean out one’s temporary files and run defrag routines, etc. what’s a good app for that, or is it necessary on the mac?
5. is there a way to tile or cascade one’s open windows? Expose is giving me a bit of a challenge regarding configuring it.
6. is there a recommended reference manual for technical users migrating from windows to mac?
7. what is the best way to change the icons used for folders and files?
8. what are the key combinations for “home” and “end” Those keys are not present on the macbook pro
9. is there an extended clipboard manager you can recommend? Clipmate doesn’t yet run on the mac and Copy/Paste Pro limits the number of items per archive collection, and doesn't allow the collection of images apparently, based on their overview videos.

many thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Without answering all of your questions individually. To be honest...it sounds to me that you are trying to turn your MacBook Pro into a Windows laptop as closely as possible.

If your going to be a "switcher"...then switch. Don't try to turn your MacBook Pro into a Windows computer.

Welcome...and have fun with your MacBook Pro!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
prazim

prazim is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,
Actually, no, I'm just endeavoring to implement comparable functionality, which is one reason why I requested suggestions for a good reference manual for techies making the switch - so I can learn the ins and outs of OSX in significant detail.

Think of it this way - if you were presently driving a mercedes and decided to buy a lexus, wouldn't you still want air conditioning, cruise control, and power steering, need to know where to find those controls in the new vehicle, and confirm their design would meet your established perceived preferences and needs?

I'm loving the Mac...just need to get on top of the items noted in my first post.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prazim View Post
Hi Nick,
Actually, no, I'm just endeavoring to implement comparable functionality, which is one reason why I requested suggestions for a good reference manual for techies making the switch - so I can learn the ins and outs of OSX in significant detail.

Think of it this way - if you were presently driving a mercedes and decided to buy a lexus, wouldn't you still want air conditioning, cruise control, and power steering, need to know where to find those controls in the new vehicle, and confirm their design would meet your established perceived preferences and needs?

I'm loving the Mac...just need to get on top of the items noted in my first post.
Actually comparing the Macintosh OS & the Windows OS to a Lexus & a Mercedes is not a good analogy. Some things in the Macintosh OS do work similarly to Windows...and some things don't.

I have been a Macintosh user for 24 years...you are an admitted "switcher" (which is fine, nothing wrong with that). Take it from me...what you think are simply "customization" or "comparable functionality" questions are clearly questions where you are trying to make your Macintosh more "Windows-like". Your questions 5 & 8 just SCREAM former Windows user!

As far as analogies...forget about the automobile references. Going from Windows to the Macintosh OS is like relocating to another country with a different language & customs. Not many people in the "Macintosh World" talk about "home & end" keys...and nobody (other than other switchers) use the term "Cascade Windows". Its like moving from the United States to say Saudi Arabia. Some things may be familiar & similar...and other things will be very different...and you just have to go with the flow.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prazim View Post
Hi,
I’m hoping you can help with these migration issues. I’m using a macbook pro:
1. how does one change the sound for various functions, such as emptying trash, sent mail, etc.? If an additional software tool is needed, which one is best?
2. if one uses animated mouse pointers in windows, can those also be used in Mac apps? Is there a program that needs to be installed for them to work?
3. is there an app which allows one to control the bass and treble on the mac book pro, outside of itunes?
4. in windows, it is necessary to clean out one’s temporary files and run defrag routines, etc. what’s a good app for that, or is it necessary on the mac?
5. is there a way to tile or cascade one’s open windows? Expose is giving me a bit of a challenge regarding configuring it.
6. is there a recommended reference manual for technical users migrating from windows to mac?
7. what is the best way to change the icons used for folders and files?
8. what are the key combinations for “home” and “end” Those keys are not present on the macbook pro
9. is there an extended clipboard manager you can recommend? Clipmate doesn’t yet run on the mac and Copy/Paste Pro limits the number of items per archive collection, and doesn't allow the collection of images apparently, based on their overview videos.

many thanks in advance
1) You'll need third party software for this, of which I know none. Sorry.

2) You can try to find third party software for this as well, but good luck.

3) Again, third party software, and again, good luck.

4) The temporary files are automatically cleared when you run the defragmenter in Windows. On a Mac, it runs a background task called cron which clears temp files and defragments the internal HDD.

5) This thing called Expose (there are ways to do this, the most common is F10 and F11, and F3 on a more modern Mac) exists on a Mac for the same reason that Windows allows you to have multiple windows. It doesn't necessarily cascade or stack the windows to fit, but it does allow you to find the window you need when doing multiple things. There's also Spaces, which is a Leopard and Snow Leopard exclusive. Spaces gives you multiple desktops to expand your work on.

6) There are several- check Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders.

7) Check out Apple's Downloads site: Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Icons, Screensavers, etc.

8) Can you be more specific? You can search the internet for key combinations/shortcuts on Mac OS X.

9) Again, you can find third party software. For all answers that require third party software, you can go here: Apple - Downloads

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Questions | iPhoto question »