New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Altitude Game Issues


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Yffum

 
Yffum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 77
Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Yffum is offline
Hi, I have a couple of games about Altitude which may or may not be related to Steam

Well, I saw that Altitude was free for the weekend on Steam so I clicked to download it. I was sorta confused by the title because it said something along the lines of "Free for the weekend and half price until monday".

Here are my questions:

1. It downloaded "Altitude - 1.3 d". I'm guessing this is just a demo which will loose all the features monday (However if it isn't, please explain). I was wondering how to delete a demo game or any game for that matter because I somehow automatically downloaded "Football Manager 2010 - 1.3 d" which I don't want at all and I would like to delete this along with the demo of Altitude after it no longer has all the features.

PS - I stopped the football game mid-download so let me know if I should download it fully before attempting to delete it.

2. This one's more focused on Altitude. One time when I opened it the game wouldn't log in due to some internet problem apparently and it said to try again in five minutes. Will this happen often in the regular version? I hate not being able to pay for something I payed for. Then I tried with my internet turned off and was very surprised to find out the game doesn't work offline, even against bots. Is this the same in the full version?

3. Last time I tried to play every game got interrupted because I had too much ping. It recommended to close torrent downloaders or anything like that. The only application I had open was Steam. I tried other servers but the same thing kept happening. So... what's ping and how do I get less?...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,906
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
1. It downloaded "Altitude - 1.3 d". I'm guessing this is just a demo which will loose all the features monday (However if it isn't, please explain). I was wondering how to delete a demo game or any game for that matter because I somehow automatically downloaded "Football Manager 2010 - 1.3 d" which I don't want at all and I would like to delete this along with the demo of Altitude after it no longer has all the features.
In Steam, go to Games > View Games Library, right-click on the undesired game, select Delete Local Content.

Quote:
2. This one's more focused on Altitude. One time when I opened it the game wouldn't log in due to some internet problem apparently and it said to try again in five minutes. Will this happen often in the regular version? I hate not being able to pay for something I payed for. Then I tried with my internet turned off and was very surprised to find out the game doesn't work offline, even against bots. Is this the same in the full version?
Well most likely, Steams servers are heavily bogged down due to it having only recently been released on Mac. A lot of people are hitting their servers downloading games.

Quote:
3. Last time I tried to play every game got interrupted because I had too much ping. It recommended to close torrent downloaders or anything like that. The only application I had open was Steam. I tried other servers but the same thing kept happening. So... what's ping and how do I get less?...
The problem may be the same as above. It also could be the quality of your own connection. For what "ping" means…
ping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

 
Yffum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2010
Posts: 77
Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Yffum is offline
Oh, thanks a bunch - you helped a lot!

I just have one more question. I have a fast reliable internet connection so the ping problem must be that Steam's servers are overloaded. However, the game reccomended creating my own server. I didn't want to because I only have a demo and it's not worth it, but if I did would I no longer have the ping issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,906
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
Oh, thanks a bunch - you helped a lot!

I just have one more question. I have a fast reliable internet connection so the ping problem must be that Steam's servers are overloaded. However, the game reccomended creating my own server. I didn't want to because I only have a demo and it's not worth it, but if I did would I no longer have the ping issue?
Is this a single-player game? I suppose it wouldn't be an issue. That's kind of odd to set up a server on one's own computer just to play it solo, but if it works, so much the better. Certainly the "ping" problem would be a non-factor because that's involved with traffic between computers.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« pages | Photoshop CS5 considerably slow »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Help please in finding a classic game the8thark Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 09-04-2008 12:58 PM
Game requires OS X (native) - what is that and how do I get it? mom2four OS X - Apps and Games 3 08-18-2008 05:51 PM
Best Mac Racing Sim to Date theanimaster OS X - Apps and Games 3 07-17-2008 08:09 PM
Having Shockwave issues Bailey OS X - Operating System 3 06-24-2008 03:36 PM
Issues in XP w/games, Airport on Mac Pro w/ X1900 GoldenRedux Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 9 10-16-2006 03:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?