New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail.app & Gmail: Duplicate mails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Hey all,

After running some diagnostics tools to save up on precious diskspace, I had to confirm what I previously only suspected.

For some reason, my Mail.app downloads all Mails from GMail (IMAP) at least twice. Now, I believe that the issue is caused by the fact that both the "Inbox" folder and the "All Mails" folder are being synchronized over the IMAP. Obviously, all mails in the Inbox, or the Sent box, or whichever other mail folder, are also in "All Mails". This resulting in duplicate downloads and a waste of space (and time).

I could however not find an option to delete the "All Mails" tag in Gmail, nor could I find an option in Mail.app to only synchronize what I need synchronized (I want my Inbox, Sent, Trash, Spam and Drafts to be similar across my Gmail account and my Mail.app)

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Google have 'recommend settings for IMAP that should help you stop this.

Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Google have 'recommend settings for IMAP that should help you stop this.

Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help
Hmm, as far as I can tell, my settings match those... guess I'll have to dig some deeper to see where things go wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I don't think you can avoid this happening when using the IMAP setup rather than POP. It supposedly is a "feature" thinking that you would want to synchronize mail across all your accounts and hardware.

I know it's a pain and what I do is just go through every once in awhile and delete the dupes. I don't get all that much mail, so me for it's not really a bother.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I don't think you can avoid this happening when using the IMAP setup rather than POP. It supposedly is a "feature" thinking that you would want to synchronize mail across all your accounts and hardware.

I know it's a pain and what I do is just go through every once in awhile and delete the dupes. I don't get all that much mail, so me for it's not really a bother.

Regards.
Well its not so much a feature as just simply an impossibility to get it setup correctly. It is unfortunately not possible to delete duplicates without removing them from the Inbox, which I don't like.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Jedi academy installation problems | I'm a Happy Magic Mouser - New Software! »